Dog safe presence detector?

Anyone have thoughts on, or seen a Dog safe presence detector? I need something fairly small, just to see when my dog comes/goes. Today, it would have been nice to confirm my Golden was at home, because I thought some kids left my door open.

My dog is fairly gentle so she wouldn’t tear it off, but it will get scratched up and perhaps some exposure to water. I use to use a TAGG (tagg.com) and but obviously that has a monthly fee, and isn’t zigbee…

Have you considered the SmartThings presence tag?

@chrisb : Yeah, its not water resistent, and its shape would cause it to hang on the collar. Something that is more ‘attached’ would be ideal.

I have two presence tags in use now, must admit they work well.

Maybe the fitbark could be detected (when it finally comes out).
Otherwise, I’d love to know if there is a way to waterproof the presence sensor.

This is the one I am holding out for: http://www.whistle.com

I emailed their support and they will be publishing their API…eventually. I hope that means sooner than later. It connects to your wifi…so theoretically you set something up to notify you when the device leaves your wifi.

@Mark, That’s great. I hadn’t heard of that one yet. Not sure about the wifi bit since I doubt it will stay connected constantly. But since it supports Bluetooth and BLE it should be watchable. Pre ordered :slight_smile:

So after having one for a week I can tell you what I’ve discovered. The collar won’t show up in a BTLE scan unless you press the button on it. It connects to wifi every 60 minutes. So basically you have a 60 minute presence sense blind spot if you’re watching wifi logs.

I use both at the moment - would be great to get the tagg sensor into smartthings.