Does ST app have to be open for presence to work?

Subject says it all. After weeks of troubleshooting, resetting the phone, etc, the app says I am finally home after being lost for 3 weeks in cyberspace. Now I am setting up smartapps to trigger simple tasks like turning lights on and off when I depart/leave using my phone as a presence sensor. Does the ST app have to be open for presence to work?

(Andrew Cockburn) #2

No, it works just fine in the background as long as you enable GPS in the background.

(Dave N) #3

I don’t have gps turned on at all as it eats the batteries. I only have Location Services on so it uses the cell towers to triangulate position. Seems to be accurate enough to always know when I’m home.

(Ray) #4

Not sure if it’s ST or both my android phones but the 50% when ST thought i was in lala land. I launch the app and it updated my location.

(Mcvoss) #5

I have an android S4, GPS is on and I have been using it as a presence sensor for 5 mos no issues. I don’t have to open the app.

(Jim) #6

No battery issues here using presence on iOS - just allow the smartthings app to use gps all the time