Do you use ST to automate a garage door?

I guess I am old-school… scratch that, I know I am!

For my dumb garage door opener, I just MacGyvered it.

I used a smart outlet with a routine that turns it off after 2 seconds of being on (i.e. mimicking a momentary button press). I plugged in a 12v adapter to the smart outlet, and wired that up to a 12v automotive relay/switch. I hooked up the other end of the relay/switch to the button terminals on the opener.

It works from my phone, Alexa, Google Assistant, and via a button on my watch or voice activated via Google Assistant on my watch or earbuds. Very convenient for opening the garage door when my hands are full… and it was cheep to make, as I had all the necessary parts just gathering dust. It has been working great and has been rock solid for at least 7 years now.

This method may not work for some garage door openers that use a digital code between the button on the wall and the opener (I’m talking about you MyQ, can’t even add a second remote button) instead of a simple on/off/open/close button press. The easy way to test this is to short out the 2 button terminals on the opener and see if it triggers the door.

I should mention that I do have an open/close/tilt sensor on the garage door.

I also have a camera in my garage so I can see if there are any obstructions/people before remotely initiating a close command. This is especially useful when my kids leave it open or the pets break the beam while we are driving away and it should be closing.

Like others here, I also have routines that notify me during the day if any doors have been left open for 15 minutes or longer, on 15 minute intervals. At night, the notifications are set at the 5 minute mark. It could get annoying when unwanted, so I also have a virtual switch that can pause all of the notifications for a set amount of time (used as a precondition for the notification routines), for example if I have the garage door open while doing yard work.

5 Likes