DIY SmartThings "Relay Touchscreen Controller"

Do a Forum Search :mag: and you’ll find several Topics like this.

I used a bunch of old Galaxy S3s lying around to setup as mobile control stations with the linked docking station. With Google Now and Tasker/Voice integration, I simply speak my commands. Bunch of threads here on how to do it. The nice thing is that it puts my old phones to use.

2 Likes

:wink: I’m going to 3D print a custom case for my 100$ Amazon Fire HD6 that I created:

1 Like

@akoziol99 @NoMoreClaymores I’m jealous of you guys with your 3D printing skills. I have a great idea for a cradle for an iPhone that would mimic the Wink Relay, But stuck at the modeling phase. Reaching out to 2 people who might be able to help, but unlikely. I downloaded Sketchup… Or should I learn Blender?

Also, I’m debating whether or not I should find an old Android phone and use that instead. Android is obviously more open than iPhone and allows me to do a bit more.

Here are some of the things I’d like it to do…

1. Display the dashboard - cross platform (#1 priority obviously)
  2. Wake on Motion - possible with Android
  3. Be a security camera with Manything - iOS only right now, Android later this year.
  4. Sonos-like DLNA Media Renderer - possible with Android
  5. Be an iBeacon for future occupancy/micro-location uses - possible on iOS, still researching feasibility on Android.

Bit of a toss up right now. Am I missing anything cool?

you should really pick a device before starting a project as your 3D drawing need to fit the device snug. I think an old iphone or android device will be too small if your using ActiON, I know my old Ipod touch was…

1 Like

That’s good advice on the 3D printing. I may try to do something that works across many devices though. We’ll see what happens.

As for screen size, I’ve been testing it out on an old iPod touch. I don’t mind the size. Remember, I’m looking to create a DIY Wink Relay. I’m planning for this to be sort of a control station for a specific set of rooms, not the main command center for the house. I’ve created a smaller dashboard with only the bare essentials for this particular room.

2 Likes

So I downloaded sketchup and it’s surprisingly easy to use. I think i’m fairly close to a 3D model of my custom Relay mount.

Do you guys have any advice on where I would go to print this thing out? Or other pitfalls I should be concerned about? I’m seeing UPS store and Staples but nothing seems local to me. And prices are nowhere to be found. It’s a great mystery.

Thanks.

I found this site to be the cheapest:
makexyz.com

I am actually going to purchase a 3D printer, they’re pretty cheap these days

thank you! great website. I’ve already reached out to someone local.

I went with the plug-in dock solution. The US version sits too high, so I got the EU version.
Here’s what it looks like running ActiON:

My biggest gripe is that the iPod isn’t vertically centered with the light switches. If your 3D model looks a lot better, I might try that instead.

(Btw, I got into ADB on Wink Relay. Maybe it’s possible to side-load SmartThings.)

2 Likes

Wow, if this could be rooted to do our bidding, that would be AWESOME!

Hey that doesn’t look too bad! Would you mind sharing a shot of it straight on?

I hear you on the alignment, that has so far been my biggest challenge. (That and learning how to 3D model. ;)) But I’m pleased so far. I’ll definitely share my findings soon.

For the Wink Relay… maybe you just get a browser on there and run ActiON?

The vertical alignment looks even worse straight on, but you’ll never stand at this angle. To get the horizontal alignment correct, I used a USB outlet with slightly off-centered ports.

The tricky part is connecting it to a computer. I took the whole thing apart and didn’t see any obvious USB pins. The AOSP browser is probably still installed — we just don’t have a way to launch it.

@akoziol99 did you root the Fire, or how are you implementing a “screen always on” or “motion activated” screen setup? I’ve been trying to bring Tasker into the Fire along with a Camera Motion activator, but would love to avoid re-creating the wheel so to speak.

Thanks,

I’ve actually picked up 2- 10" Samsung Galaxy Tabs and 1- 8" Galaxy Tab that I plan to mount in the way. 2-10’s would be in my garage/workshop & Kitchen and then the 8" would be in the master bedroom. In addition to running just Smartthings these units would also control household music and video files being routed to tv’s throughout the house from the main server in the house.

My biggest struggle right now is building a mount. I’m unable to locate an “off the shelf” wall mount for these devices so it appears that i’ll have to be building them out of 1/2" MDF plained down to fit smooth with drywall for a flush look.

I’ll hopefully have the first tablet mocked up in the coming weeks and will post some pictures then.

There are lots of off the shelf wall mounts available sold for offices and stores running tablets in kiosk mode, but many homeowners consider them too expensive as they typically also have theft-deterrent features.

http://www.galaxyenclosures.com/galaxy-tab-wall-mount-galaxy-wall-mount-galaxy-security-mount.html

Have you looked at the hardware mounting topic for SmartTiles? Lots of interesting ideas there:

Hey Matt, you can use this app and check out your local 3d print shops. Also tinkercad web base for the 3d program. It will be really cheap if you just want a basic mount. I was looking into it but got busy so it will be my winter project. Couple of friends printed all kind of stuffs.

Edit : forgot to include the app https://www.3dhubs.com/

I ended up using an old ipod touch with Smart tiles

1 Like

Just wondering if you were finally able to make mounts for your galaxy tabs ? I am also looking for the same…

Sorry DJAnu, I have not gotten the time to make mounts up for my tablets. Im looking at getting back to that project soon. A friend of mine purchased a xCarve a couple weeks back and im going to get him to cut me some plexi for mounts so this project should get updated soon.