Discontinuation of MyQ Connect Community SmartApp

I’m on the My Quote community forums ain’t I? Where should it be?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #122

Why do you need an “official device” for EcoBee when @yvesracine has created such a fully featured one? Not challenging – I’m honestly trying to understand the customer perspective of Community developed Device Types and SmartApps.

(Steve White) #123

Because of this I returned all of my newly purchased MyQ equipment today. Like others, I’m going to pursue using the rPi as an opener interface solution along with NYCE tilt sensors. This is such a shame and I just don’t understand why some community members can crank out complex integrations with a week or two of development, yet SmartThings and Chamberlain cannot. In the meantime the customer suffers.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #124

You probably can make do with a cheaper MCU like Arduino (Thing Shield or WiFi) or Spark Core … anything with a WiFi or ZigBee connection – and a relay to trigger the wall push button. Of course, directly tying the tilt or closure sensor into the system would be recommended for security reasons; in case SmartThings cloud becomes out of sync with the code in your MCU. I use this concept for my home theater projector and screen control. It can function entirely independently of SmartThings or in concert with.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #125

We’ve started to talk about the implications of the likely significant “restrictions” on the future official MyQ DTH in the SmartTiles thread. @625alex and I have no love lost for MyQ, but we fear that there is a good chance MyQ integration will have to be severely crippled by SmartThings in order to be certified. It will be very hard for SmartThings to limit the stuff that a Community SmartApp does with a “garage door”, and thus, only limited and highly vetted SmartApps will be permitted to use the DTH.

(Never Trust @bamarayne) #126

STs has stated for along time now they were working on this. They articulate no progress in that regard at this point. I can only assume they have done nothing.

If ST had made an attempt to 1) integrate as they said they would (no matter how limited MyQ required) 2) said they weren’t due to restrictions on MyQ’s part with specifics of what/why, then we could all make educated decisions about what our integrations would look like and not be in the dark about so much.

Not sure if the lack of progress was due to resources or inter-company politics, but either way we have very little to go on when the clientele have been asked to hang their hat on the upcoming integration. That’s squarely on ST.

(Convinced ST will never be unbroken…) #127

In My Case, that would make it useless.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #128

You could say this about any promised SmartThings feature, especially ones that are entirely in ST’s control… e.g, Bluetooth in Hub V2? Local execution? Sellers Marketplace for SmartApps? …

In the case of MyQ (and Nest), I’m willing to give SmartThings a break here and say that the vendor’s restrictions are significantly onerous, and more than just surface technical work is required. Also, until this past week, MyQ had a functional workaround (i.e., the Community DTH), which is more than can be said for the other 3 random examples I gave above.

So … I agree; SmartThings is not great at delivering features they announce, whether vaguely or “promised”; but I empathize with some delays more than others.

(Never Trust @bamarayne) #129

Correct. If you say it, do it. If you can’t do it, don’t say it. The latest conference they had marketed several more integrations and “works with” type marketing fluff. Accountability and follow through is key. Anybody can say they do or will do this or that.

Not that I disagree. But if that is/was the case - where it the ST statement to their clientele that demonstrates that is the reason for the continued delays? If it exists, I haven’t seen it. They are responsible for following through on their commitments or clearly explaining what unpredictable encumbrances exist that prevent them from doing so.

Taking responsibility would gain my empathy.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #130

Jody responded in a follow-up post above…

(Never Trust @bamarayne) #131

Oh I saw it today.

My point is, this should have been known and communicated if it was the reason for the lack of progress. Waiting until the proverbial sh*t hits the fan is problematic for several reasons. 1) Clientele are put at risk of losing integration’s they have made investments in based on representations made. 2) Calls into question ST’s actual effort.

Now, here in the 11th hour… calling out MyQ’s restrictions as the cause doesn’t really strike me as something worthy of empathy. Heck I am not even sure I buy it, in that I assume there has been a lack of effort on STs part - if not in actually attempting to integrate but certainly to communicate.

If they haven’t done anything due to a stand off with myq, they should have stated so when it came to that.

(Jody) #132

(Never Trust @bamarayne) #133

Sure Jody and I appreciate that now.

My point is… if that is the reason for the lack of progress to date, why is this the first we are hearing about it?

(Convinced ST will never be unbroken…) #134

Yeah… Gotta admit one of the main reasons I chose MyQ was the announced ‘we’re working on the official integration’ more than a year ago last February. Back then I didn’t know enough to blindly dismiss it.

(Glen King) #135

I have decided that purchasing any item based on “promised future enhancement” is utterly foolish.

(Tom Steele) #136

This is what I have suspected all along. It has nothing to do with engineers and everything to do with the lawyers. I won’t give my opinions about lawyers here because you don’t want to hear them.

But I will tell you that somewhere someone decided that even though we have sensors that cause our garage doors to stop if they encounter resistance and even though we have sensors that determine if something is in the way of the garage door before it will go down, apparently there is still a lawsuit waiting to happen and therefore we are not able to control our own garage doors the way we would like to do so.

I don’t really blame Samsung for this. I am fortunate, I just bought both pieces of equipment, the my q and the smartthings hub. I bought them from Amazon. I am a very good Amazon customer. I have no doubt they will take the MyQ back. So Chamberlain can eat that. I’m sure maybe they can sell it for a reduced price on Amazon warehouse deals or something. But I’m not eating 88 bucks for a useless piece of junk now. I had no need whatsoever to open my garage door from my smart phone when I could already open it from the openers that came with it and from my programmable cars.

Chamberlain seems to be like many companies these days, far more concerned about and unlikely an improbable event that could lead to a lawsuit and less concerned about how the customers want to use the product. We are probably all to blame to some degree. By sitting back and watching all of these lawsuits happen . It is very frustrating for those of us who would like to still live free of a nanny state where everyone has decided what is safe or not safe for us and we can never make any decisions for ourselves unless a large group of lawyers has looked over it first.

I am just getting into smart home right now. I looked into it several years ago and decided it was not ready for prime time. I’m not at all convinced that it is still not ready for prime time. I am very surprised to see how much of the stuff still has to phone home. I would’ve assumed by now that all of this was being done on the Internet and with no control from the home office.

I don’t understand why I have to go through Chamberlain at all to open my garage door or close my garage door. It seems to me like my Wi-Fi is 100% capable of sending a signal to a home. automation unit which then sends a signal to the garage door opener. Why on earth does this need to go through any other companies servers?

Getting to the real meat of my comment, are there any companies and is there any equipment that does not connect through the manufacturer?

I see no point in that. I would like to have equipment that is controlled by me through my Wi-Fi and through my Bluetooth and through other connectivity options within my home. My router and Internet and Wi-Fi should be my primary means of controlling any device that I have. Especially something like a garage door opener.

Dear God someone could hook up an Arduino or raspberry pi device and mount your original garage door opener with a lever that pushes the friggin button. You can do that without ever asking anybody anything. Then the only other thing you would have to do is maybe code something to read the sensor on whether it was up or down.

Best wishes, how disappointing to find out the state of “smart home” is still so dumb.

Tom Steele
http://www.tsteele93.com

(Convinced ST will never be unbroken…) #137

You failed to mention the 15 seconds of beeping and flashing lights prior to the door starting down.

(Convinced ST will never be unbroken…) #138

So you’re saying many/most of us are fools for purchasing SmartThings?

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #139

https://garageio.com/ looks interesting, but also seems to require a Cloud. Not sure it works if Internet down? Maybe… Like Hue.

Anything that has a remote access (status and/or control) “requires” a cloud these days, even though there are many ways vendors could avoid this “requirement”.

(Almoney) #140

I have asked Chamberlain if we could support building an official integration with Smartthings. I will update as the conversation progresses.