Discontinuation of MyQ Connect Community SmartApp

Just tried my ST Garage button and it didn’t seem to work initially, so I loaded up the the MyQ app and cycled it, went back to ST and the it worked?

What does a Chamberlain garage door offer that attaching a Zwave opener does not?

A separate polished dedicated app outside ST that isn’t dependent on the ST cloud. Also, doesn’t require a zWave controller as it’s cloud to cloud. MyQ has had it’s share of stability issues as well, but nearly as much as ST has.

1 Like

That’s a lot of conjecture wrapped up in that statement.

If it was my API, and there was an endpoint that was not ‘official’ and may not have been designed for the purpose it was being used, I might have killed it as well. I would rather ensure there was an official API designed for the use case to promote data integrity & organization, throughput, and security.

1 Like

Really? I’ve had my Liftmaster 8500 for about a year and MyQ has been rock solid (with the exception of two minor outages, both of which I was informed of days before their occurrence).

What have you been seeing?

@leanbarton MyQ includes a number of niceties including wireless keypads with temporary key programming, auto close timers, vacation mode (disabling controllers), and automatic deadbolt locking.

1 Like

Yes, not many outages, but there have been a few off the top of my head where they were completely down. I’ve also had some bugs where doors are reported opposite what they are. Fortunately I have had cameras on my doors to verify, but for people who don’t, that can be quite a nuisance. They have improved their stability and false positives though and the last few months it’s been pretty rock solid.

Overall, I like the solution and it’s better than the GoGoGate one I had prior.

Wait… So do you have the add on kit or the 828 gateway with a MyQ opener?

I have this for 2 years almost now.

MyQ

That may be the difference in our experiences. MyQ openers use no external sensor; they report status directly to the gateway.

Yes, that might explain some of the false positives. They have improved them though and do mention them in their iOS app updates.

At the risk of sounding really stupid I am using copyninja’s app to run my garage door opener through Smartthings, is this what is ending? Just dotting my i’s and crossing my t’s before I send an email to Chamberlain telling them to shove their garage door opener and My Q crap where the sun don’t shine. I have owned and purchased Chamberlain products for 30 plus years and I am willing to switch to the first one supported. This integration has been GREAT for me.

This is exactly what is ending. We are all disappointed as I used this with iOS widgets, Sonos and Amazon Echo. Best case is Yonomi or Stringify integrating it. @Kent-Yonomi do you guys have any ETA?

1 Like

Well I started a thread over at the My Q community forums if anyone is interested in venting your frustrations. The more people that complain the more likely they might work something out.

https://myqcommunity.chamberlain.com/chamberlainmyq/topics/smartthing-integration?rfm=1&topic_submit=true

2 Likes

It won’t let me sign in unfortunately even after confirming the email

Not sure about that Im new to their forums. I logged in with FB and it worked.

Same thing here. I wonder if MyQ blocked this too?? Crazy. At least I can use the Wink app for iOS widgets. MyQ won’t even let Wink open the doors upon arrival. I cannot see MyQ and ST ever having a partnership with how open ST is…

@jody.albritton - I bought a MyQ garage door opener specifically because I could connect it to my SmartThings. Why would I buy another controller (GoControl) when the ability is built in to the one I bought. You guys have had over a year to create a “official” app…why isn’t it already out?

Between this and waiting for a EcoBee 3 official device I don’t know why I’ve bothered with SmartThings.

You’re on the wrong forum with that thinking.

2 Likes

Honestly, I would be simply happy if they offer a IFTTT channel… that would be more than sufficient for my needs, i can do notifications with the MyQ app… i just want the doors to automatically open and close based on presence.

A few comments… the recommended GoControl in the FAQ of the OP was trash, unfortunately. I got it at a deep discount for like $50 at Staples and still returned it as the range was worse then the GoControl door sensor which is hanging in the same garage, about 70 feet away from the ST hub and obviously many walls and stucco in-between. However, I do have a range extender on the last wall of the house which does help the door sensor but failed to help the GoControl garage kit.

I stuck to my original configuration of my custom HTTP Device Handler using a Raspberry Pi and a relay which is spliced/soldered onto the back of the garage wall panel. You can also use a WeMo to trigger a car type of relay. I may change this up to use a tiny ESP8266 Arduino-like board based on @Casper’s project. This way I can also trigger the garage light not just the garage door considering I have reliable WiFi in the garage. I’m also doing this in my gate box but using a RPi and a power-line Ethernet adapter instead of flaky WiFi.

Reason for splicing is because it’s not just a simple control panel because LiftMaster/Chamberlain use it for multi-function purposes, that means shorting the two wires is useless. You must solder to the back of each momentary button of the panel. BTW, my older garage door motor is NOT MyQ capable so obviously this is the old-school technique but it’s reliable and has much more capability and potential for future enhancements.