Dear SmartThings Staff

Nope, I’ve finally realised that the point where I find it funny changes to anger is the part where I get involved.

If I just don’t breach that point and just read the BS that get’s said without trying to point out said BS, I’m a much happier person. In fact I think I actually have some popcorn I can microwave.

This isn’t just the ST community though, after that thread it made me realise I was getting far to involved in the day to day BS that lots of people like to sprout and hadn’t realised what stress that causes.

So, nope, I’m trying to make sure that I only help people if I can and stay out of it from now on. Not saying I ever will but I’ve disabled a lot of the buttons I realised people kept pressing.

4 Likes

A lot of involvement for not being involved. Lot of implications, statements, etc… DEFINITELY not involved though.

Enjoy the popcorn.

1 Like

2 Likes

I’m also enjoying this thread a bit. I should have been a bit more clear about not using ST as a babysitter.

That said, it was a letter to ST Staff. The point of this thread is they position ST as something serious that works, not a hobby.

I posted here so you guys could read. I did expect a few replies. Sometime tomorrow we will get the standard reply (if any at all) from someone who works at ST that says, “Work are working on a bunch of cool things [that won’t work either], hang in there the future is bright.”

2 Likes

Funny I know the location this was filmed. In reference to the kid with the big bag of popcorn.

1 Like

I know… lets roll out an untested update… on Friday afternoon! :astonished:

I find excessive drama hurts the credibility of a post and waters down its intended effect.

I’m a really big fan of reality. Home automation and safety are different. In fact automation is often not safe and requires safety measures.

The reason a door chime works better than ST is that it does only one thing. ST does thousands.

The only person responsible for matching the best product to the application is you, the only person who had that choice. Not the child, not ST, you.

2 Likes

I think the people with the popcorn should just keep it to themselves. There is nothing productive about their posts.

I get this. The purpose of my post is that ST makes a lot of promises and delivers on very few of them. One of those promises is safety.

As @jlv posted above, that is just another example that allows me to say

I could have easily started this post out with “Dear SmartThings Staff, you should be ashamed of yourself.”. I didn’t because it isn’t all of their fault.

I think the hobby talk gives ST an out they shouldn’t have. My guess is that there are a lot of ST customers who use ST for non-hobby uses.

I am not going anywhere [to another platform] anytime soon. I’ve invested too much time to just give up, hence the letter.

3 Likes

Hmmm, I wonder what happens with an employee that is trying to do it all but ends up doing nothing well…

1 Like

It’s all my fault cause my light turned on!

3 Likes

Look I don’t see the problem… I have 8 kids and ST IS 99%… Odds are that I won’t lose one of them… If so, I’ll just make more!

But seriously… If This was a wink group, we’d all be banned… And no that’s not meant as a funny.

Realize the fact that a person bought a product with the expectations that it would be s reliable assistant to his needs. The marketing said it can help. The big name on to screams reliability.

There is no reason what so ever for the OP to ever think this product would not be a useful tool.

He’s not leaving his child welfare to the box. He’s using a tool.

He’s had a right to post everything he posted. And the fact that the company will not berate him for doing it says volumes… Unlike my getting banned from wink yesterday…

To the OP, keep posting!

8 Likes

I will, I just want things to get better. I’m glad we can say what we want here. But I also think that banning me or deleting the post would be an acknowledgment of the post.

4 Likes

Of course you do, otherwise you wouldn’t put the energy into posting in the first place. Folks can always use a reminder about that when it comes to feedback that doesn’t fit into their style or perception of things.

@bamarayne is right about the high tolerance here at ST. Most discussion forums, especially manufacturer ran, have very low tolerance for feedback, humor, discourse, etc. For that they get tremendous credit. That’s being said, we should ban @bamarayne and @bridaus immediately and delete all their posts.

4 Likes

No way! I’m not talking about a computer being better! ! ! That’s winks bag baby!

1 Like

It was Thursday afternoon. Unless ST now has a 4 day work week it gave them all day Friday to patch it.

Hasn’t every new phone released for the past 10 years been built as a weapon of mass distraction ? If not why do they all come with Facebook, Twitter, Yuotube, etc pre-installed ?

Welcome to the club, Been there done that a couple years ago. Before Wink shut down the official forums. I was even tossed from a couple of the " secret " Facebook groups for my “opinions” on Wink . Say what you want, but I have not noticed anybody being tossed from ST for making comparisons to competitive products.

1 Like

You are lucky. If you are on the SONOS forum and say something that is not 100% positive about SONOS, you, your family (living and dead) and everyone you have ever met is subjected to derision until you go away and never come back.

2 Likes

I must be different. I find that generally st has worked well for me. I have had some issues here and there but for the most part my life is better with st than without.

The most obvious way for me to see st issues is that I have a motion detector right outside my front door. I have a smartapp that turns on my drive way light when it detect motion and it’s after dark. If there are st issues my light doesn’t come on or there are massive delays. It happens every couple of weeks for me.

But generally it’s been a good experience and the few times I have had to email support is been okay.

Precense detection using cell phone is unreliable. I have an moto x Android and there I turned off the battery saver for the st app which made things better but my wife’s Sammy doesn’t let me do that. And that phone is unreliable as a precense detector.

I wish I could disable a smartapp temporarily. And remove devices that the smart app use without first removing the smart app. I have a schlage Camelot. When I change batteries I generally have to exclude and include it to make it work. It sucks having to remove the smart apps before I can change batteries… Especially apps with heavy customisations like the multi user lock manager.

But it’s a once in a year headache. I can deal with it.
Been thinking about hacking up a virtual lock that I can attach my smartapps to do I can keep them. One day… :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I agree with the first statement as a want. The second you can now do. The SmartApp may “break” but once you add the device back and update in the SA, it should be back to working.

3 Likes

Micael,

I can’t test it right now, but last I tested it I couldn’t if this was the sole device that the smartapp was linked to.
In my case the lock manager is only controlling a single lock and I can’t remove the device if it’s the only device that the smart app interacts with.

Last I tested was a month ago so I could be wrong. It would be great if I can have a smart app sitting around configured without a single device attached to it.

1 Like

If not, create a virtual switch and attach that to it.