Dear SmartThings Staff

I’ve since installed dumb chimes that work 100% of the time and a chain lock. No other options except 2x4 over the door like in the walking dead.

100% agree. ST, let me give you more money. $4.99 / month so I know my stuff will work and you can keep paying developers and hire more.

I don’t think it is out of line at all. How is using SmartThings worse than nothing?

I think you guys are miss understanding me here… My son an open the front door and walk out. Any parent here who has their eye on their child 100% of the time raise your hand. Likely none will.

That is not ST claim.

I shouldn’t have to. The ST official way should work.

I shouldn’t have to, have you seen the emails about SmartApp execution failures over the last couple days.

I do, but what is the point of TTS that works “sometimes” unless it is the end of the month or September.

Yea.

SmartThings marketing should reflect this community, not the white washed stories on their site.

Just because something is known to be a POS, doesn’t mean we can’t ask ST to make it not a POS as they claim.

ST is not a babysitter. I think you miss understood me or I didn’t explain well. You can’t keep you eye on the kid 100% of the time. It would be nice if a $99 box and a $40 contact sensor could out perform a dumb $5 sensor.

Yes, I would never trust ST unless I was involved with the build and knew it would work, but I’d expect at least 99% success. So the 1% of the time where walks out of sight 99% of those times I’d expect ST to catch him. Its not even close.

The responsibility of my child’s safety is our’s alone, not ST. I purchased ST so I could keep him a bit more safe. It was an attempt that failed.

My point exactly. That’s all.

Who does?

Ding, Ding, Ding, thank you.

2 Likes

[quote=“whoismoses, post:41, topic:57033”]

I don’t think it is out of line at all. How is using SmartThings worse than nothing?[/quote]

I’m sorry, but I have no idea what that question has to do with the statement of mine that you quoted and are responding to…or anything else that I’ve said, for that matter.

1 Like

How is that…

I don’t think it is out of line to say what I said. How is using ST worse than doing nothing to get notified about a door opening?

Again, ST is not my babysitter. I just want ST to actually work.

Neither I nor anyone else has has said that using ST for that purpose is “worse than doing nothing”, so I still don’t understand the point of your question.

I never said it was your babysitter. I also began by saying that I shared your frustration with the product’s failures.

I use Abode security hub for tasks like this and has not failed me once since the day I plugged in their hub. Not missed one door chime or push notification since last October. The hub has the siren on board and both the alarm and the door chime noises are fairly loud. I get you want ST to do it, but we all know, they just aren’t there yet. Maybe one day, but not today.

2 Likes

You assume that wasn’t the same response Samsung gave until it became a national headline.

7 Likes

Oh c’mon I know you’re itching…Let it out…

Nope, I’ve finally realised that the point where I find it funny changes to anger is the part where I get involved.

If I just don’t breach that point and just read the BS that get’s said without trying to point out said BS, I’m a much happier person. In fact I think I actually have some popcorn I can microwave.

This isn’t just the ST community though, after that thread it made me realise I was getting far to involved in the day to day BS that lots of people like to sprout and hadn’t realised what stress that causes.

So, nope, I’m trying to make sure that I only help people if I can and stay out of it from now on. Not saying I ever will but I’ve disabled a lot of the buttons I realised people kept pressing.

4 Likes

A lot of involvement for not being involved. Lot of implications, statements, etc… DEFINITELY not involved though.

Enjoy the popcorn.

1 Like

2 Likes

I’m also enjoying this thread a bit. I should have been a bit more clear about not using ST as a babysitter.

That said, it was a letter to ST Staff. The point of this thread is they position ST as something serious that works, not a hobby.

I posted here so you guys could read. I did expect a few replies. Sometime tomorrow we will get the standard reply (if any at all) from someone who works at ST that says, “Work are working on a bunch of cool things [that won’t work either], hang in there the future is bright.”

2 Likes

Funny I know the location this was filmed. In reference to the kid with the big bag of popcorn.

1 Like

I know… lets roll out an untested update… on Friday afternoon! :astonished:

I find excessive drama hurts the credibility of a post and waters down its intended effect.

I’m a really big fan of reality. Home automation and safety are different. In fact automation is often not safe and requires safety measures.

The reason a door chime works better than ST is that it does only one thing. ST does thousands.

The only person responsible for matching the best product to the application is you, the only person who had that choice. Not the child, not ST, you.

2 Likes

I think the people with the popcorn should just keep it to themselves. There is nothing productive about their posts.

I get this. The purpose of my post is that ST makes a lot of promises and delivers on very few of them. One of those promises is safety.

As @jlv posted above, that is just another example that allows me to say

I could have easily started this post out with “Dear SmartThings Staff, you should be ashamed of yourself.”. I didn’t because it isn’t all of their fault.

I think the hobby talk gives ST an out they shouldn’t have. My guess is that there are a lot of ST customers who use ST for non-hobby uses.

I am not going anywhere [to another platform] anytime soon. I’ve invested too much time to just give up, hence the letter.

3 Likes

Hmmm, I wonder what happens with an employee that is trying to do it all but ends up doing nothing well…

1 Like

It’s all my fault cause my light turned on!

3 Likes

Look I don’t see the problem… I have 8 kids and ST IS 99%… Odds are that I won’t lose one of them… If so, I’ll just make more!

But seriously… If This was a wink group, we’d all be banned… And no that’s not meant as a funny.

Realize the fact that a person bought a product with the expectations that it would be s reliable assistant to his needs. The marketing said it can help. The big name on to screams reliability.

There is no reason what so ever for the OP to ever think this product would not be a useful tool.

He’s not leaving his child welfare to the box. He’s using a tool.

He’s had a right to post everything he posted. And the fact that the company will not berate him for doing it says volumes… Unlike my getting banned from wink yesterday…

To the OP, keep posting!

8 Likes

I will, I just want things to get better. I’m glad we can say what we want here. But I also think that banning me or deleting the post would be an acknowledgment of the post.

4 Likes