Custom device type for enerwave zw15sm switch

Actually, I can’t get either the Z-Wave Metering device handler or your device handler to update the power reading. I have to manually press the refresh button for it to update. I also tried using a CoRE piston with both poll and refresh, but it won’t update the reading either.

EDIT: I had a fan connected to the outlet for testing. It read 30 W once I hit the refresh button. However, when I turned the fan off and then removed it from the socket, it continued to read 30 W until I turned the socket off and then back on. Hmmmm.

Were you able to get this device to report correctly? I’ve tried both the stock Z-Wave Metering Switch device handler and the one for ZW15SM, but neither seems to allow me to get energy reports. The instructions provided with the unit indicate that association group 3 is what sends power reports, but I’ve been unable to manage to tweak the device handler to do that.

No, unfortunately I haven’t. I was going to see about buying a unit and sending to a dev to get a working handler.

I tried one of these and it is a no go as well. the standard switch works fine unlocks relocks immediately . the monitoring one is laggy even to lock and unlock and only replorts very rarely… Or I could have had a bad one. But I am returning it to amazon.

Clearly I should have read this thread before I picked up the Enerwave zw15rm-plus. Getting it added was a bit of a painful task but I can control it now although having some issues there.

Consensus is there is no way to get the metering working?

Was hoping I would go back to the non-plus model but can’t find any available - did that have metering working? Not that it matters now.

I need a 15a capable switch and was hoping for metering options - any other options exist? I don’t think so sadly

I was just checking up on this device and was hoping a better handler was created. To answer your question, it seems to log energy usage (mine shows something like 6.4 kwH cumulative) but it doesn’t seem to show instantaneous power. Nevertheless, at least the switching aspect works for me. When I bought it, I was really hoping for an in-wall metering plug for my wife’s curling iron, hair dryer, etc, which would automatically turn off when SmartThings sensed we were out of the house but something was plugged in and powered on. Unfortunately, this plug doesn’t seem to work like that. I don’t understand why these vendors can’t provide basic handlers for their products - some, like Zooz, do.

What is the fix?

i withdrew my previous post, because i am still seeing some issues with it. trying out various things to see if i can get to the bottom of it. will update within the next week or so in either case.

Keep me posted - that would be awesome if you could get it working. I seriously thought about buying another outlet and seeing if @RBoy would accept it and make a handler with working power code. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Feel free to send us a request via email

i should start with i dont have this enerwave zw15sm switch rather the enerwave ZWN33M-PLUS plug. but, not finding a driver for this plug and seeing the specification all seemed to be the same between these 2 devices, i started with the DH on this thread. on, off etc work normally already. the configuration setting do not seem to be making it to the device and they still dont. :slight_smile:

however, the only way to get wattage data seemed to be by using refresh in the app. there was no power reporting. for me, power reporting was the reason i bought this switch. after tearing some hair and with help from @krlaframboise, i have got power polling working now through custom scheduled polling. currently its reporting wattage on a 1 minute frequency.

there is still quite a bit of work to do but since there was some interest in the power polling capability, thought i would provide an update. i believe this would also work for the enerwave zw15sm switch.

if any one wants to give it a try, happy to share. will need to modify the device fingerprint. so, will need the raw data for the zw15sm switch for that. heres the raw data for the ZWN33M-PLUS from the IDE. i am sure it will be different for the zw15sm.

Raw Description zw:L type:1001 mfr:011A prod:0111 model:0101 ver:5.11 zwv:4.24 lib:06 cc:5E,86,72,5A,73,32,70,25,85,59,27 role:05 ff:8700 ui:8700

DISCLAIMER: novice at ST DH, just hacking through it trying to learn. so, if it doesn’t quite work, i will try my best to figure out what the issue is … but no guarantees. :slight_smile:

EDIT: i have it currently hooked to my fan just for testing … here is a snapshot of Recently. note, even though the polling happens every 1 minute, the system only sends the power event if it has changed from the last poll.

you dont need to modify the device fingerprint… to test… you can manually choose the device type in the ide…