Current Device Deals & Best Prices (link to new thread at bottom of thread)

Thanks @bridaus, I’m working on going through my apps that execute in all modes to just specific ones so that I can do this.

I basically arrived at the same place after looking through this thread…

Lots of thanks to @bravenel for the tutoring

1 Like

Thanks, but, I don’t use modes this way any longer. I decided it was way too troublesome to mess with modes. Suppose you are in “maintenance” when a scheduled mode change comes along. Bang, you’re not going to be in “maintenance” any longer.

Instead, what I’ve done is to introduce disable switches into those apps that need it, and also some means of flipping that switch (Minimote).

But we’re way off topic…

2 Likes

Ok, I have to jump in here now…

I have two things that run… one is Wake up Jason and the other is Wake up Wendi. These are the gentle wake up apps… Sometimes I just hit the snooze button like 15 times and sometimes the wife tells me the lights better not come one cause she’s not getting up…

I’d love to disable these with a snooze button, or an off button…

So, how did you do the disable switches?

Thanks.

The app has to have the disable function incorporated into it. That’s fairly easy to do, and involves selecting the disable switch, and then subscribing to its on/off events. Those events affect a state variable. The operative code in the app is protected by a conditional test of that state variable.

Then, one creates a On/Off Button Tile in the IDE. That is what the Minimote, or Alexa, or whatever turns on and off to disable or not the app.

Send me a PM if you want links to example code that does this.

3 Likes

Monoprice is 15% off today with promo code ‘OCT15’.

1 Like

Sheesh, I haven’t even installed the last item I bought from MP :smiley:

1 Like

Small Amazon price drops.
Ring down to $182 from $199.

Nest cam down to $187 from $199:

Has anyone heard of maginon smart plug? It’s a $19 dollar Wi-Fi switch. It’s sold by Aldis’s of all places. Here’s a link just curious. https://www.aldi.us/en/weekly-specials/special-buys-for-oct-28/oct-28-detail/ps/p/maginon-smart-plug/

Maginon is a German electronics company, low end stuff mostly. They have a deal with Aldi’s to feature about 30 of their products, including this particular plug. It’s not compatible with SmartThings at all.

1 Like

Thanks! I was curious…

Aeotec Z-Wave Smart Energy Monitor v1 is currently $19.99 on Amazon.

Note - there is a v2 out which is supposed to be more accurate but is much more expensive.

(Shamelessly stolen from slickdeals)

Are these compatible with ST? I don’t see it on http://www.smartthings.com/compatible-products.

If I wanted to get a two or four pack of dimmer switches with aux switches right now, what is likely the best place/deal?

Prefer zigbee, but totally ok with zwave.

Yes they are, I have around 6-8 or them. They register as the ST brand sensors :smile:

For the US?

www.zwaveproducts.com is a reliable retailer with a decent if not great return policy* that often has bundle deals and carries a wide selection. I usually check them first.

They don’t carry any Zigbee, though.

*30 day return period for defective devices, up to 20% restocking fee if you just decide you don’t want it but there’s nothing wrong with it.

2 Likes

The GE switches work well for me. They have a Zigbee option that runs pricier than the Z-Wave one, but the same Aux switch works.

Where would you get them?

Best Buy carries the Zigbee switches from GE. As does the official SmartThings shop.

Lowe’s carry the Z-wave models. Switch for $35, Dimmer for $40 and Add-O n for $20. If you can get one of the address change coupons for 10% at Lowe’s, you save around $6 per kit.
Amazon does similar pricing and sometimes you can find one of those someone returned for a cheaper price. They ran a GE product sale of 15% off about a month or two ago.

For the GE Zigbee, I believe the only place is Best Buy and ST shop. Maybe you can get some through eBay?

Only thing with these switches is that a neutral wire is a MUST.