CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

I like it better.

Like it better.

BTW, what does ā€œTime is any time of dayā€ do for you in that piston?

There was a time range initially and then I just decided to test it at any time. Did not want to remove it so that I can readd it later if I needed to.

1 Like

My kitchen is pretty dim even at day time, so I have the lights turn on on motion and stay on for one minute after motion stops, at which time it dims the lights a bit (a bit more, my LED ceiling spots look the same at 100% and 75% lol) and then turn them off 15 seconds later if motion does not reoccur. The variable is there to ensure that if I manually turn on the lights, they stay on until I manually turn them back off.

1 Like

can someone please walk me through simple instructions to achieve a light switch automation, activated by motion, and turns off after X-minutes provided that no motion has been identified, with timer resetting itself automatically if motion is detected to keep light on.
Thank tou

1 Like

I am looking to setup a piston to monitor the state of my locks 5 minutes after the house is put into a specific mode. Basically, my SimpliSafe alarm is enabled by me putting the house into Sleep mode. Occasionally, for whatever reason, it doesnā€™t arm the alarm and I would like to be notified via a light coming on in my bedroom closet 5 minutes after I put the house into sleep mode. I can tell if the SimpliSafe alarm is armed by itā€™s lock state (locked =on, unlocked=off).

On the thenā€¦ Choose using time/dateā€¦ Then under actions choose wait five minutes as the first thing.

Thanks. I had to chnange to a Then-If Piston. Letā€™s see how this works tonight :slight_smile:

If i create a Piston to send me a text when the outside temp is greater than the inside temp, how do I tell it to stop texting me that. Didnā€™t even realize it would just keep happening.

Thanks

Show us the piston you have first.

Hereā€™s a crazy tricky idea of an else-if pistonā€¦

IF
  Location changes to desired_mode
THEN
  Follow up with same piston in 5 minutes

ELSE IF
   Location mode is desired_mode
   AND
   (additional conditions to check whatever it is you want to check)
THEN
   (whatever actions needed)

Let me know if that works :wink:

It relies ln the fact that the follow up will be a time event, thus evaluating false and forcing the else if to evaluate :slight_smile: the first mode condition in the else if is there to ensure this wonā€™t do anything when changing to modes other than the desired_mode

Execute the action only on piston state change. Then the temp outside would have to dip before it goes higher again

Ahhhā€¦thanks. I thought there would be a standard ā€˜stopā€™ trick. Here is what I have now.

Yep, should work

Interstingly, it does work. But it sends 3 text messages all at once when it does change. Do you think it is sending one for each sensor involved? Would there be a better way to manage this?

Are all three sensors updating at the same time? They may run into a race condition where the piston runs three times simultaneously, thus explaining the three texts. May I recommend using just one sensor if all three are updating at the same time? What kind of temperature sensors are they?

Hi all

Iā€™m new to CoRE and have been trying to create a particular Piston but am unsure about how to go about it.

My setup:

What Iā€™d like to achieve, and have setup through lighting director right now is to have the lounge lights, (can be individually and set level, using a group switch, or using a momentary scene switch), turn on when:

lux is below 20 AND there is motion
Turn off if no motion for 3 mins

BUT

If the lights are manually turned on using: hue widget/smartthings/sharptools - whatever. Then donā€™t worry about the former.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Nitin

EDIT: actually, something close to this type of logic with an external variable looks like it may be how I should structure this? (credit to ady624)

Same here, however I know many who have issues with it, particularly with the 2nd device.

Yeah that is what I am using for my kitchen lights. It uses an internal (local) variable and works as requested by you above. You do not need the time of the day condition, but add the lux condition. And adjust the waits accordingly.

Thanks Ady, Iā€™ll attempt to copy it word for word!

1 Like