CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Totally understand. I often bemoan the fact that there is no reference material for terms. Like what is Polling? What does it do? How does it help me? And why doesn’t Fade to Hue work at all on my damn lights!!!

But if you need help with things you can’t find in the main ST Apps, then check back in and we can set up something small for you. :slight_smile: Good Luck.

It appears that the backyard sensor info is captured under $currentEventValue so I:
Set decimal variable {backyardTemp = $currentEventValue}
Send Push notification “It's now {backyardTemp} outside which is hotter than upstairs, open a window and turn on house fan.

I would still like to also display the indoor temperature. This piston evaluates both the backyard temperature value and the bedroom temperature so I would expect to see a place I could access both values somewhere?

Thank you!

There is probably an easier way to do this but temporarily, you can create a piston that subscribes to the temperature device you have and at each change of that temp update your @indoorTemp global variable so your notification piston can use its value.

"It's now {backyardTemp} outside which is hotter than upstairs' {@indoorTemp}, open a window and turn on house fan."

1 Like

How do you guys replicate the “Someone arrives” routine with a piston?

What is someone arrives?

In a routine there is a section, says automatically run when…

I see, well I don’t rely upon ST presence sensor (physical or phone) enough to trust them without some checks… but if you do then you can simply create a piston with a trigger based upon the presence of that particular sensor… have it kick off the events…

Here is an example of one thing that I do:

Another:

I also use a variable to track and stabilize presence status for another presence sensor I have. Ensuring that if it leaves and comes back within a short period of time - say 30 minutes the logic assumes it did not change status. This keeps them from fluctuating. I can provide examples if needed.

For reference, S7 is a phone presence. Jeep is a ST Fob presence sensor.

@bridaus

Here is mine… Latching piston for me

1 Like

What is Jason Presence based upon? A phone, A fob, Life360?

Who likes this color theme better?

3 Likes

Life360 on my phone bits the life360 connect integration in ST.

It works great for me…

I like it a lot more.

1 Like

Just important to note, because ST presence sensors and ST phone presence is not stable enough to do what you have there. So @bridaus would need to define what method he is using.

ST phone presence has always worked flawlessly for me…

1 Like

I had is drop off then come back when the phone remained at home. Could be the phone and not ST.

Life360 and fobs using my Reliable Presence app.

Both have been reliable except my fobs went crazy one night. Just once.

I will have to check our your reliable presence app, probably a far better version of what I am doing with CoRE variables.

I have to ask though… you have a reliable presence app but say the fobs are reliable???

Grant it, I don’t know what the reliable presence app does yet… but dare I wonder about cognitive dissonance? :wink:

Life360 has been great for me. I don’t use the ST presence, per se, just the life360 connect app in st. No problems

2 Likes

It lets me ignore battery or people forgetting their fob problems mostly…

1 Like

Prefer the original color.

1 Like