CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

I’m not sure what to offer. You logic look great, good job.

What I can offer is my experience. You logic works as tested. I’m not familiar with all the motion sensors out there and can not offer any advice as to the other units time outs. I can however offer up that perhap your motion sensor has a timeout cycle of more than 1 minute or so. What is the motion sensor you are using? some have time outs that can last as long as 4 minutes. Some you can tweak their settings inside them to change this cycle to seconds. If that is the case, then check out this thread for an idea of what can be done with certain motion sensors.

$time should be $now. Forgot about that one.

I was stating that what @bamarayne suggested will only work for sending the notifications.

If your original piston is handling the modes correctly then just remove the push notifications.

1 Like

ST SmartSense Motion Sensor 2015 model. should work well.

Most of my ST network is Z-Wave, but these and my multipurpose sensors are ZigBee. I had noticed a lot of errors on the MP sensors (Garage Door) and thought it could be a distance issue. I tried adding 3 of these “Centralite 3-Series ZigBee Plug-in Appliance Module - Model 3200” to try getting some relay action, but they didn’t seem to help. I chatted with ST support and they said try these “Iris 120-Volt White Smart Plug - Model 3210-L” as they are supposed to be better than the 3200 model. So I added those and removed the others. The garage door sensors seem to be behaving much better, but still have the refusal to turn back on with the bathroom lights.

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, swapping sensors out, etc. I did this step my first time as well. Started with the ST motion sensor then onto Iiris and Ecolink PIR. I’m building in redundancy into my system as best I can. I hope you are able to solve your issues.

Instead of using when true/when false change it to a latching piston.

For your other issue I would try not using when true. I don’t see the point in this if it is the only thing it is evaluating.

oh ok. that is what im doing right now.

i however am still not getting the right text output with $currentEventDevice , $currentEventValue

You need to put them between { }

{$currentEventValue}

1 Like

thank you. finally nailed it… .

Has anyone figured out a way to notify if a specific door or window is open? I’d like to have it report the device name as a variable. “Back Door” is unlocked instead of the blanket “a door is unlocked”. My alarm has 50 zones so creating a custom piston exception for each one is a lot of work and if I change the name then I’d have to adjust the piston too. Is this possible?

I would like to set up a piston that when a contact sensor was open for at least 10 minutes, save the current cool temp attribute to a variable, set the cool temp to 80, wait for the contact to close, restore the cool temp attribute.

I’m stuck on the, wait for the contact to close part. Any help would be appreciated.

$currentEventDevice might be what you need. If the piston is set to notify when one of those zones is opened then the device name would be in that variable.

Sorry, can you elaborate on what order I’d set the piston up with?

Most of what you want to do can be done in CoRE except for the loading the setpoint from variable. That I believe doesn’t work from what I’ve been reading the past few months.

This will send a notification any time a door opens

This will send a push notification if a door is left open for more than 1 minute. Works by having the cancel on condition state change enabled.

How can I do the “wait for contact = close” part? If the setting of variable doesn’t work, I could always just turn the thermostat off or put it in eco. Then when the contact is close turn it back on or put it in cool. Its the “wait for contact to close” part is where I’m hung up.

Something in the likes of… in this scenario, I’m assuming there are no other pistons subscribing to the Contact closing.

IF
Contact stays open for X minutes
Then
Do this…

BUT-IF
Contact changes to closed
Then
Do this…

So the { xxx} inserts the current device which is pushing the notification? While you’re here, I’d like to be able to cancel a piston’s commands if I change modes. So for example, if I arm my house but then decide to stay and I switch from Away back to Home, the commands from my Away piston are still going to trigger (I have a 5 minute delay built in). How can I prevent the commands from happening without disabling the piston?

I think my question was lost in the mix, so reposting #7685:

EDIT:
Suppose I should tag @ady624 to make a feature request for this (if not in this version in WebCore as mentioned by @eibyer 1 post below)

In this version of CoRE, it might not be possible, same as the reply I gave to @MABeatty1978. There seems to be an issue in this version where loading thermostat setpoint from variable doesn’t work. Hopefully, webCoRE will take care of that in the next few weeks. Development on that is moving fast, @ady624 is an amazing dev, have a peek at webCoRE if you haven’t already.

1 Like

I was able to get it to work for “changes to”. I’d basically like to be notified if there is a door or window open when I change my mode to Goodbye. I have the SHM on a 5 minute delay so it doesn’t freak out with notifications. So basically I need to know in that 5 minute window if anything is left open, and not too concerned if something changes to open (like the door I’m leaving with). Any way to accomplish this?