CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

It will not fire at or after midnight until the next sunset because midnight starts a new “Day”. So if you are wanting it for the duration of sundown then do in between sunset and sunrise.

Hi all,
I’m a self confessed noob, but have created a couple of pistons that work pretty great for my needs!
One area I’m struggling with are with Lightwave RF devices (light switches).

I can control them from within the smartthings app using @adamclark_dev’s integration found here:

However, in Core pistons, the switches are completely unresponsive.

Can anyone instruct me on how best to diagnose this please?
I did a search, but came up with nothing, so apologies if I missed the answer.

Thanks!

Got it - went round and round but …

What was weird it kept failing - changed the siren to a lamp - worked fine - added the siren and lamp OK, deleted the lamp - OK. These GoContol sirens are cheap - slow to react and just act weird,

Found this for my other issue - seems to work.

This works.
Using Basic piston.
If
Virtual switch is on.
Then
Using xxxxx light.
Turn on
Wait 30 seconds.
Turn off.
Follow up with piston #this piston name# after 30 seconds.
Else.
Turn off.

Care of bobbles

1 Like

Thank you, this has fixed it.

Do SmartApps need to implement CoRE in their code or does CoRE have to implement smartapps? I see AskAlexa and EchoSistent in CoRE but no other apps.

TIA

I want to have my vaccubot (Maid Marian) to go into sleep mode if both my husband and I have been gone for 24 hours…but I only seem to find a minutes option with CoRe can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Hi Paul,

Using the Evohome integration with Core how do you set a zone to heat to a desired set point? I am struggling with this.

couldn’t you just use a “wait” on the action and cancel on state change instead? So if your presence sensors remain away for 1 min, then Wait 24 hrs and turn off maid marian. On the action set to cancel on state change so if your presence sensors return within that 24hrs, the timer is reset.

@ady624 has continually added SUPPORT FOR various devices/capabilities, those you mentioned being two of the more recent ones (see Version history in the CoRE source code).

And since CoRE is close to the max code base limit, new additions are probably coming to a screeching halt (if it hasn’t already).

2 Likes

@ady624

I am using your kitchen lights as an example for controlling my playroom lights with motion and how the switch cancels the motion.

Here is mine and I am wondering in the BUT IF | THEN if I need a task for the switch is on. If so, since mine is a switch and not dimmable, what option would I have to accomplish this?

Is it possible to insert a new condition between two existing ones? I put a motion sensor in the garage and want to add it to my Garage Closing piston.

I think it would work just as well if you add it right after the existing (unless you have some complex grouping). We are not able to insert or rearrange conditions, yet.

Notifications questions:

1. Is it possible to use a variable to represent the names of devices on which an action is taken? For example below, when true, I want to turn on, then send a notification “Turning on {$outsideGarageLights} because {$currentEventDevice} turned {$currentEventValue}.” Is that possible?

2. My core pistons aren’t filling in my device histories when the piston runs. How do I fix my pistons so it logs correctly in the device log?

Most succinct way to “tie together” two separate light switches so they act as a single switch in two locations ? My wife wants the hallway lights that are currently operated by a different switch to now toggle when a switch next to the kitchen is toggled, and vice-versa for the switch operating the hallway lights. I can create 4 rules (on/off for both switches toggling the other), but is there a way to tighten that up into a single rule ?

Thanks. Under set colour there is no level option only lightness is that it ?

1 Like

Yeah, that is the one

Don’t get my question wrong I was just curious which side had to support the implementation.

1 Like

Thank you both for the reply. I was struggling with figuring out how to use variables. I think ive got it figured out. (I changed the temp from under 55 to 70 for testing)
Please let me know if this looks good.

Something isn’t working. The variable reads true, and the temperature sensors read under 70 and I don’t receive the message.

UPDATE:
I figured out the timer and variable issue I was having.

It all works except for when the value is changed back to true after 120 minutes, assuming the temp is under or over the parameters, I get a message stating the variable has changed. Not the temperature devices. It says something like $currenteventdevice is @tempalert. Can’t figure out how to not give me the notification for the variable change.

I don’t think you need a variable to achieve this. Keep it simple. If you only need it to check these Temps every 2hrs then do a basic Piston.

IF - Trigger happens every 2 hrs and (your temp group with the OR like you already have it.

THEN - the msg as you have written it with the current event device and value.

This will fire every 2hrs and check your temp group.

You could use IFTTT to turn on a virtual switch in Smartthings whenever it rains. There is also a Virtual Weather Tile that you can install from the IDE, though refreshing it can be difficult sometimes (unless ST has fixed that?). Search the forums for “Weather Tile” and you’ll find some options.