CoRE - Get peer assistance here with setting up Pistons

Was the temp condition (under 69 for 1 min) met at 630am?

@eibyer yes all conditions were met, and i changed the time to 6:30 when i woke up after I saw it did not kick off until 8am.
here are 2 images showing the temps at what time, and also the plug and time it kicked on

Hello All,

I am attempting to install/configure CoRE but am unable to save any pistons. I am attempting to perform a basic “Do” piston by changing the color of my lights but keep receiving the following error from my phone:

“Error Saving page” and from the live logging:

java.lang.NullPointerException @ line 8690

I believe this is something I have configured wrong but I am stumped. I have tried removing and reinstalling the app several times, trying both the manual and automatic installation. Has anyone experienced this?

The “was” condition needs a trigger. Like a temperature change in your case. It lacks a trigger mechanism to reevaluate after one minute, like stays does, why do you need temperature to have been below 69 for 1 minute? Why not just temperature is below 69?

I had tested doing is below and it too did not kick off immediately, I can try again and see if that works as I was testing before with the front door sensor, the sensor for temp and a light, and all conditions were met and the light would not come on immediately, so I thought maybe it would only trigger when the sensor temp changed and sent a newly updated temp, so i thought doing was would mean it did not need to get a temp sent to it, that it would look at the last temp reading and say ok its been more than a minute and under 69 degrees turn the plug on…

I knew it would work as if i used the simulate button it would do exactly what it should…

I was leading to the same thing @ady624 was suggesting. You need a trigger in the condition set to force the evaluation of the piston. Here’s an example of how I involved a temp sensor to be my trigger.

◦ Time is between 8:00 AM MST and 60 minutes before sunset
◦ Variable {luxTriggered} (as string) is off
● Any of My ecobee3, Sugabee or WeatherTile temperature changes

@eibyer ok this is my first piston, so in my case what variable am i wanting to trigger from, and what string… and for the any i am figuring that for me would be like…

any of bathroom Multi Sensor changes, (but is this a condition?)

Oh, skip the variable, that was for my setup. You can add a trigger of motion or something that will generate activity to force evaluation, like a power meter or something similar. In my case I used the temp sensors for 3 devices because I know it will update.

@eibyer ok so do i need to add another condition?

I am looking to have it turn the heater on between that time frame if door is closed and temp is below 69… what would i use for trigger and is that a new core for the trigger?

Yes, that would be my suggestion. What other device that has a lot of activity do you have that we can involve in that piston?

I have a z-wave plug repeater but other than that in terms of “activity” when we asleep not sure what activity we could use…

If you look at that plug repeater activity in the app or the IDE, you can find the capabilities it reports on.

How about changing the first condition to less than 69.
Then in the ‘then’ have:>
Wait 1 minute.
Turn On.
Also have TCP active so that if temp goes above 69 within the 1 min period the ‘then’ will cancel.
Might be a simple way of doinv it.

1 Like

@bobbles I can give that a shot, here is my notifications screen, we can see that at 7:02 am the piston executed but did not turn the plug on, only when the door opened and closed did it then turn the plug on. So wife walked into bathroom opened the door, the motion/temp sensor detects motion, she then came out of bathroom at 8:06am, closing door, and that is the exact moment the plug was turned on.

I really wanted the setting to be if the temp is less than 69, do i need to add the wait 1 minute rule?

No, you don’t need the 1 min rule.
I just put that in as you had that in your original piston.

1 Like

something else I found odd, was that if I turned the plug on manually the piston was turning it back off, so the piston was running and because the door was open i guess it would still run the ELSE statement which was turn the plug off… .so i added in a if the time is between (same as the turn on conditions) then it would turn off, but outside of that time window it will not try to turn it off.

@bobbles Ok cool, I am going to change the time window to now and give this a shot and see what it does…

Any help here?