CoRE and Piston Rules Engine, first design steps

So weird…it didn’t update after saving the Piston, but it DID give me the NAME (not desc) field after putting the parent into Expert. I can’t reproduce this, was my first rule after installing the latest version from scratch as I haven’t touched this in a while. The name field literally did not exist until Expert mode was enabled. Call me crazy, I’m used to it!

1 Like

I found that anything below 1000ms is quirky, especially with lights that fade in/out. As for the Adjust virtual command, that’s coming. Adjust by level or by percentage, both up and down. I will try and see if I can make it use delay like flash. Adjust -X% every Ys for Z times…

1 Like

Have no clue?!

Code is this:

section(title:"Application Info") {
            label name: "name", title: "Name", required: true, state: (name ? "complete" : null), defaultValue: parent.generatePistonName()
            input "description", "string", title: "Description", required: false, state: (description ? "complete" : null), capitalization: "sentences"
            paragraph version(), title: "Version"
            paragraph mem(), title: "Memory Usage"
            href "pageVariables", title: "Local Variables"
        }

I think I see the issue now, I’m having this problem…I don’t have SHM as a choice. Sorry for the disruption, as you were haha.

1 Like

you do - then - enable the “using location” and then you can set SHM or location modes, send SMS or push notifications etc :)… simples … I think its really time for a manual :slight_smile:

tooooo many “hidden” features - but good community support :blush:

2 Likes

Yeah, that one’s too well hidden…

1 Like

Thanks that setup worked like a champ and I finally had a reason to use something other than a simple piston. Now to go evaluate my other pistons and see if they would be better suited with another type :slight_smile: I’m starting to have a better understanding of this beast.

1 Like

If I could heart this like 1k times, I certainly would. You are 100% right. I learned this whole program (what i know anyway) from the community. I have gotten the automation I want, because of the community. I am staying with this setup, because of the community. There’s documentation, but it definitely doesn’t boil down to some of these “hidden” features for sure. Thank you guys as usual.

BUT, all that being said, no thank you for taking my life away. I have become addicted as I’ve seen happen with many others :wink:

1 Like

@ady624 - am I correct in thinking that the 3axis options are not yet available?

1 Like

Not yet. You guys had me working on buttons. Decide already :slight_smile:

4 Likes

just asking otherwise it would have been a bug report … I dont need either of it really - did I … hmmm … dont think so … anyway … keep the good work coming I think for the moment I got everything working - damn, nothing to test or do :slight_smile:

edit: back to test flash …

1 Like

Feel free to add it to github, this way I don’t ummm… forget to implement it :slight_smile:

First, love the new rule machine. While it has tons of functionality and after reading through a good portion of this thread, I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around more than simple rules. Below if what I’m trying to obtain:

If time is between sunset/sunrise ( i want all the following actions to happen only during this time)
Action > Turn on front door to 50%
Action > Turn on back door to 20%

When front door contact is open
Action > set level of front door to 100%
When front door contact is closed
Action > set level of front door to 50%

When back door contact is open
Action > set level of back door to 100%
When back door contact is closed
Action > set level of back door to 20%

If time not between sunset/sunrise
Action > turn off front/back lights off

I figure this is probably pretty simple, but just cant figure out in the app. Any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

Buttons. Who wants buttons?!

v0.0.040.20160524 - Alpha test version - Multi sub-device support (read buttons in conditions, or multi-switch in actions). //todo: buttons & triggers - the button state does not change, so detecting a change is tricky, or rather, simpler, but different.

3 Likes

Lane, do you want all those actions to happen ONLY WHEN time is between sunset and sunrise? Or is it only the first two actions happen then?

Yes, all actions to happen between sunset and sunrise. So they should turn on at sunset, then if the doors open/close, change brightness accordingly, then turn off the lights at sunrise.

1 Like

I gave in and setup github integration so I can play :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, I’d use the Then-If piston. What’s tricky though is the fact that the Then-If only subscribes to events in the primary IF branch, so you need to put your doors in there if you want the doors to trigger anything.

NOTE: Update to version v0.0.041 as I had to make some changes to allow the “is one of” condition to work with two-valued attributes.

Also, you need to enable Expert Mode for the Individual Actions shown before to be available.

IF
    Time is between sunset and sunrise
    AND
    Front Door Contact is one of [open, closed]
    AND
    Back Door Contact is one of [open, closed]

THEN
    Using Front Door
        Set Level to 50%
        Turn on
    Using Back Door
       Set level to 20%
       Turn on

THEN IF
    Front Door Contact is open
        >>>when true>>> 
          Using Front Door
            Set level to 100%
    OR
    Front Door Contact is closed
        >>>when true>>> 
          Using Front Door
            Set level to 50%
    OR
    Back Door Contact is open
        >>>when true>>> 
          Using Back Door
            Set level to 100%
    OR
    Back Door Contact is closed
        >>>when true>>> 
          Using Back Door
            Set level to 20%
THEN
    (leave empty)

ELSE
    Using Front Door and Back Door
      Turn off

Let me know how that works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awesome. I will setup up the rule and test tonight. I really appreciate the assistance. Reading through this thread with people asking questions and you giving them ideas how to setup the rule has been extremely helpful. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

@ady624:

What does the “Save Notification” option do under Send SMS notification?

1 Like