Control the device locally without internet, possible?

Excuse me, it seems to me such a trivial question, which amazes me not to find other info about it.

Many automations we can bring them into local execution, but control a Device or a scene or a routine without internet? If I always have to go through the app, I will always need the internet of course. For example, the shelly devices that I had in the past, through their app, if you are in the same network, you can control the devices locally. It is not possible in some way to be able to do this?
Thank you and sorry if the question is trivial

Not through the app, but if you have other ways of sending a command to the hub, using nothing but locally executing devices in automations, then it’s possible. Easiest example is a local button controlling a device/devices/scene where everything is local.

1 Like

Yes, but I have not one butto for every device to Control. I would like some sort of local control panel. It would be very helpful :roll_eyes: me. Yesterday I had problems with the internet and I could not change from home mode to night mode, with all the lights turning on anus at the movement even if we were in bed. Disaster.

I have that same worry now that I have motion-triggered lighting in places that will blind my wife if she gets up in the middle of the night. I’m using the double/triple tap functions on buttons that sit on our nightstands as a backup if ST or the internet are down, so I can always put the house in sleep mode. The single tap function just does on/off of the lamps that are right there. So long as I’m covered with sleep mode, I don’t think my wife will want to strangle me during an internet outage.

I just put in a ZEN32 in a central downstairs location. Many many buttons with up to 5x tap, just tough to remember which one does what.

For a control panel app that works local, there’s nothing that I know of as yet. I could see a solution being an Edge LAN device in ST (hooked up to everything else with routines and rules to run local), with a dashboard running on a local device.

2 Likes

Not at present. :disappointed_relieved:

Eventually it may be possible after the transition to the new architecture is complete and matter support is added, but there’s no way to know yet.

As @philh30 suggested, you could do some things with edge Drivers and a local interface for some individual devices, but you still can’t do some things like track presence.

There are other competing systems that do offer local control, so hopefully smartthings will move more in that direction in the future.

2 Likes

Thank you, and @philh30 For suggestions. I activated node red on my nas, but I still don’t know how to use it :joy:. I only managed to get my google home to talk, when the consumption Electric is too high, but nothing more yet.

2 Likes

Changing location mode seems to be local now. I think that might’ve been a recent change. Granted, I haven’t had an internet outage to test with yet.

1 Like

Awesome, I know they’ve wanted to move in that direction for some time. :sunglasses:

Can you arm and disarm smartthings home monitor? That would be a huge improvement.

1 Like

It doesn’t look like it

It is better to switch to “wind down” mode via timer and to have physical buttons for the key states, devices.
There is no direct connection to the hub and no 3rd party dashboards that use ST API to fetch modes.

Even with Edge Lan device, you will have to set up all the rules manually, as no one device can control others directly, only via user-defined routines.

This is done due to security and stability reasons, no support wants to answer stupid questions like “my 3rd party dashboard got an update and bought another bulb, now lights go on in the middle of the night randomly, who should I call to?”

I didn’t say it would be easy :smiley:. But I’ve been pondering how to maximize local control within the new framework and that’s part of where I ended up. Though the dashboard part is beyond my skills.

2 Likes

I can envision the hub serving up a local web page that would let you have some level of local control over Edge devices. But given where things are at right now, I doubt we’ll see something like that any time soon.

Other than that, it is up to each individual Edge driver to provide that kind of function. It can be done, but only on an individual driver basis. As mentioned earlier, drivers can’t normally access other SmartThings devices to control them (like a SmartApp can), but there is a way for driver developers to access the SmartThings API which does let you do this.

1 Like

You can access some Shelly devices directly through a browser using their IP address. My experience with their app has been abysmal, so this is the way I prefer to configure them. I have an Edge driver for the Shelly motion sensor, FYI.

1 Like

hello,

is there any driver for shelly 2.5?

thakns

Not currently, however I took a quick look at the documentation and it supports an HTTP interface (as most Shelly devices do), and so would not be difficult to create a driver for it (or most other Shelly devices). The 2.5 would be a good replacement for when my Linear garage door controller finally dies.

If you can find a reasonable number of people that want this driver, I’d be willing to buy the device and write the driver. I’m a big fan of the Shelly devices but I’m only in possession of the motion sensor right now.

3 Likes

This is what was missing when I arrived at SmartThings with all my shellys. The integration only works in the cloud and this made me change all my devices, replacing it with zigbees.

Hopefully once Edge sorts out its reliability issues and gets out of beta, we’ll see more manufacturers like Shelly provide OEM Edge drivers. Until then, the community developers will have to fill the gap as long as users are willing to endure the beta anomalies.

1 Like

Or, even better, Shelly will support Matter and SmartThings Will be able to add matter compliant devices to a smartthings account, and everything will just work.

I say even better because the cost to the manufacturers will be lower since this isn’t a unique specific smartthings requirement, like edge drivers are. With matter, making it work for matter should make it work for a bunch of different platforms, with smartthings being one of them. So the company should be more motivated in creating it and keeping it up-to-date.

To be honest, I don’t see any device manufacturers except for a few of the smaller Z wave companies investing much time in creating edge Drivers right now. Most should go for Matter first and then see what happens on the smartthings side.

Zwave Device manufacturers are in a different position, since no one has yet announced a Z wave to matter bridge. So they have more reason to invest in a smartthings specific solution, especially if they don’t have their own hub.

But that’s just my guess, we will have to see what happens. :thinking:

More discussion of matter in the following thread:

I have have a Shelly 1, and have the CLI installed, so I could do testing and provide logs.

2 Likes

Very good point; that would make more sense!

1 Like