Connection/Mesh problems and debugging

Hello

Over the holidays I started to piece together a few z-wave devices, including:

• a dimmer switch for our deck string lights
  • a switched outlet in the shed so I could make sure chargers are turned off overnight
  • an energy monitor switch on an exterior sump, mostly so I can figure out how much energy it’s using

I have a Smart things (v2) hub.

Here’s a rough drawing:

The problem:
I’ve had problems controlling every device. In particular the energy monitor switch seems to be super flaky. I’ll turn something on in the app, but the device itself doesn’t respond. Things seem to get worse when it’s wet.

Suspicion:
The signals aren’t strong enough.

Attempts:
I’ve rebooted the hub, reconnected the devices, run the Repair Network multiple times. I repeatedly get errors like the following:

1:41:39 PM: trace cp desc: zwStatus:ready:Z-Wave network repair finished
1:41:29 PM: trace cp desc: Network repair for Outdoor Sump [08]: Failed to update route
1:41:18 PM: trace cp desc: Network repair for Bike Lights [04]: Failed to update route
1:41:08 PM: trace cp desc: Network repair for Outdoor Sump [08]: Failed to update mesh info
1:40:50 PM: trace cp desc: Network repair for Bike Lights [04]: Failed to update mesh info
1:40:42 PM: trace cp desc: Z-Wave network repair started```

Questions:
1. How can I tell if a device is actually connected at any given time? This seems like something that should be obvious, but I can't find it
2. Is there any way to see the mesh pattern? Maybe the mesh needs to be improved, how would I know?
3. Each device claims min 100ft, I've read the docs on repeaters and signal strength, is it likely that it's a connectivity problem?
4. If so, any ideas on how I can boost signal to that energy monitor switch outside? Not sure what I can put between the hub and it.

Thanks!

The “failed to update” isn’t good. I’d contact support@smartthings.com, they can do some diagnostics from their side that might help.

Have done, thanks for the suggestion.

Forgot to mention rain is usually a problem for Zwave, so that part makes sense.

Is it clear line of sight between the devices? Or are there trees, mailboxes, cars, walls, etc. in between.?

Also, what are the exact model numbers on the devices? Are they Zwave or zwave plus?

Forgot to mention rain is usually a problem for Zwave, so that part makes sense.

Ugh.

Is it clear line of sight between the devices? Or are there trees, mailboxes, cars, walls, etc. in between.?

Well the hub is inside, so there’s one wall between that and everything else. The switches are basically in the walls, so there’s just siding/shed wall between them and the outdoors. No trees, cars, etc.

Also, what are the exact model numbers on the devices? Are they Zwave or zwave plus?

Outlet: GE Z-Wave Wireless Lighting Control Duplex Receptacle
Smart energy switch: Aeon Labs DSC06106-ZWUS - Z-Wave Smart Energy Switch
Dimmer switch: 2gig WD500Z-1 Z-Wave Wall Dimmer

So two walls. What construction: brick, Adobe, wood, siding, stucco, metal? Insulated? Is the interior wall paper foil or flaked? All kinds of things Dan affect signal. Classic Zwave in a typical US home usually gets about 40’ of signal, although in a cement house it may get only 15 or 20. Zwave plus is noticeably farther, but still not usually more than 60 indoors.

Zigbee is more commonly used to reach outbuildings, as it does a bit better through water, including rain and snow.

The following discusses a few more options:

Siding, no insulation.

I get that walls, weather, etc. make a difference. What I really want to do is actually understand how much difference. For which I need some visibility into what’s going on. Is this available? Can I even tell what is actually connected and receiving pings at any given time? This seems critical… what am I missing?

That’s where support can help. Unfortunately they don’t give us network mapping tools.

Cool, thanks. Seems like it would be very very helpful to have APIs available for it.

SmartThings has this philosophy that customers should not have to know the difference between a zigbee device and a Zwave device. So they describe Zwave devices as having clusters (which drives me crazy) and don’t provide network maps. It’s not how I would do it, but they’re pretty consistent about it, and it may well be what most consumers want.