Connecting the Nespresso EN90A coffee machine or any other European compatible coffee machine

Hi all!

Ever since I saw Mr. Hawkinson demo the connected coffee machine, I knew I had to have it done…

The problem is we have a Nespresso EN90A by Delongui… It’s a semi automatic machine. But! It has 2 buttons! One to turn the machine on/off and the other to start/stop the coffee flow…

Add to that that the wife wants that machine and isn’t willing to go back to a simple coffee pot… And my dream starts to fade away…

Until I saw the arduino shield! That opened my eyes for a bit…

But here’s the real double trouble…

A) I live in Spain! Can’t access the shield! Arrgh…
B) I’m no programmer… Would someone be willing to help me?

Or if someone knows of a coffee maker compatible with the Nespresso capsule system… And zwave enabled!!! And sold in Europe!!! I’m all ears!

Thanks!!!

Are you comfortable (safe) to do the Arduino / Nespresso physical integration? E.g. is the power button an electronic control isolated from the mains supply, or is it physically switching the mains power; if the latter, do you know how to safely do that?

If the answer to any of the above is “I don’t know” then we should stop here. Mains power, heating elements, water (& steam) and Arduinos are a great combination to quickly kill yourself or somebody close to you if you don’t know what you are doing.

The Arduino shield is Zigbee and therefore runs in the (near) universal 2.4GHz band - no need to worry about US vs. European vs. (etc.) Zwave frequencies.

The only issues I see with you accessing one would be:

• The SmartThings shop is only shipping to US & Canada - this should be
    resolveable using a reshipper such as www.reship.com, etc.
  • Whether or not it is CE certified, etc. and thus the legalities of importing
    to and operating at your location. I don’t know the status of the shield in
    this regard.
1 Like

Hey Chuck!

Thanks for the reply!

I have done a few things that involve up to 230V… Always with great precaution… But I still have to find the wiring map of the machine to be on the even safer side… But since it’s an oldie machine, I’m having a hard time finding it…

Any ideas where to look?

I’ll look at the reship site… Or else I could get a friend who might be flying there to get it for me… Since this is a mid term project…

Oh hey!!

Just came up with another solution… In theory it should work too…

There’s a shield that connects to the Raspberry Pi and give it zwave powers… And I can have one by Wednesday!

Would that work too? I’ve already got the Raspberry…

Whilst it should be “doable”, this approach would have the following drawbacks:

• A Raspberry Pi is major overkill for such a task.
  • You would forgo all of the integration work, doco and tutorials already
    in place from SmartThings for getting the shield talking to SmartThings.
    Instead, you would have to learn quite a lot about Zwave to get the Pi and
    SmartThings talking to each other.
1 Like

Understood! Back to SmartThings shield it is! Thanks!

Now… Is anyone here coming on a trip to Spain anytime soon? :smile:

In this case its not just the voltage - be very aware of the dangers that both heat and condensation add to the equation when contemplating any modifications.

1 Like

I’m starting to think it might be best to beg for Belkin to bring their smart coffee machine to Spain?

If you’re at all unfamiliar or uncomfortable with the risks, then yes, a letter to Belkin would be the better (safer) option :smile:

1 Like

I’ll write down 2 lists of pros and cons of each option tomorrow! I’ll let you know the outcome! :smile:

I found a spare parts diagram for your machine. It looks like the mains goes directly to a switch (50 on the diagram). Do you have any experience with relays?

https://coffeemachineparts.com.au/hikashop-menu-for-module-216/category/139-nespresso-en95-spare-parts

Here’s a blog about repairing them:
http://www.maultech.com/chrislott/blog/20100627_nespresso.html

And a video of a French guy disassembling it:

And one in Spanish:

It looks like the switches are just contacts on a board:

Momentary switches that complete a circuit on the control board. It sounds pretty doable, and it would be a great build!

Thanks for the link to my old (now defunct) post above. Recently I moved my Nespresso repair blog post to here:

Hope this helps!

Hi,

I’m a little late to the chat, but I thought someone might be able to benefit from my suggestion. I live in the Netherlands and I always purchase repair parts and accessories on FixPart. I do know that they are active in 10+ countries. Maybe you’re able to find the parts you need on there.

Good luck!