Connecting my gas fireplace

Control boxes are swappable. I’d urge you to consider a different control mechanism. The chances of the physical fireplace outlasting the propritary rf remote is high.

What control box are you referring to? There’s no control box I’m aware of for this fireplace. The remote is the only thing that controls the fireplace.

Think of it this way instead: the remote instructs the control box to preform programed actions such as open a valve (increase the flame), turn on a light, turn on the blower, turn off the flame, etc.

The fireplace itself consists of stepper valves to control gas output (flame height), a piezoelectric igniter, lamps, fans, etc.

These valves, lights, etc are standard electro-mechanical devices that any number of ‘controllers’ can operate.

If you want to interface any home automation system with this fireplace, you need to get rid of the stock ‘control box’ and replace it with something that can interface in some way to the outside world.

One solution would be to build a custom Arduino based controller to operate the various electro-mechanical parts and speak with SmartThings. Parts? $100? Custom programing from someone willing to risk liability: unlikely + a grand.

As I previously said, you need a different control box that works with your gas stepper valve and also (for simplicity) controllable from a standard thermostat. Alternatively, a control box that can take 0-12v input to control flame height would be doable with a Fibaro RGBW zwave module.

I don’t disagree at all. Yours is definitely the most rock solid and long term solution.

However, based on those costs and effort - and considering that turning the unit on/off is what I’m most interested in right now - wouldn’t imitating that same RF signal the remote puts out be the path of least resistance here?

Adam

Looks like your fireplace uses the Sitgroup 584 DFC controller. This particular controller has a ‘diagnostic port’. I can’t track down information on the diagnostic port — perhaps your retailer or installer has access to a guide. Chances are it’s a serial port and it might just allow you to control things. But. Again. This isn’t simple wiring, it’s embedded hardware and programing.

http://www.sitgroup.it/en/ricerca-per-prodotto-funzione-4/electronic-controls/2100-full-control-for-appliances/900-584-dfc-serie-305-en

There is also a wall mounted receiver that has basic flame up/down and disables the remote for use with this product family. This might be your best bet for basic control. Talk to your retailer or manfg about the possibility of having this manual override box installed.

See figure 6c
http://www.montigo.com/files/manuals/remote_RX88%20%20ProFlame,%209955093_2009_gtmf_cat.pdf

In the future, don’t buy items with custom remote controls if you want integration. The remote and receiver has a ‘sync’ feature which indicates to me (hopefully) that they are using some sort of encryption. In any case, you’d need to invent a custom solution at the cost of thousands to translate the radio signals.

This [code][1] works perfectly for my fireplace with the Mimolite. Wiring fireplace switches inline with the Mimolite works but then you can’t turn your fireplace off if the switch is left on. With this code my unpowered wall switch works in conjunction with mimolite zwave switching. If the switch gets out on sync, (example fireplace on/switch off), I simple turn the switch on (this does nothing as the fireplace is already on) and then off again and the fireplace turns off. There is other benefits to using this code as opposed to wiring the switch inline. If you wire the your switch inline and turn the fireplace on with the switch, your fireplace tile in the Smartthings app won’t be updated to show that the fireplace is on. Using this method the fireplace tile in the app stays true to the current state of the fireplace no matter how you turn your fireplace on or off. Thanks for this [@cesaldar][2]!

[Working MIMOlite Device Type with Sensor][3]

[1]: Working MIMOlite Device Type with Sensor
[2]: http://community.smartthings.com/users/cesaldar/activity
[3]: Working MIMOlite Device Type with Sensor

Hans-
I’ve set my MIMOlite up, as you’ve suggested, and I can successfully turn on and off the fireplace from smarthings – cool! Separately,I can also see my physical switch opening and closing in the device. However, the opening and closing of the physical switch doesn’t trigger the relay that turns on the fireplace. Did you use an app for that, or did I do something wrong in setting up the MIMO device type? I used the device type dated 2014-03-6 by cesaldar that you linked to.

I can’t remember if I changed anything, but here is the code that I am currently using:

/**
     *  Fortrezz MIMOlite
     *  Author: Based on SmartThings code
     *  Date: 2014-03-6
     */

// for the UI
    metadata {
    	// Automatically generated. Make future change here.
    	definition (name: "Mimo lite", author: "carlos@carlossaldarriaga.com") {
    		capability "Polling"
    		capability "Refresh"
    		capability "Switch"
    		capability "Contact Sensor"
    	}

// simulator metadata
    	simulator {
        	status "on":  "command: 2003, payload: FF"
    		status "off": "command: 2003, payload: 00"

// reply messages
    		reply "2001FF,delay 100,2502": "command: 2503, payload: FF"
    		reply "200100,delay 100,2502": "command: 2503, payload: 00"

// status messages
    		status "open":  "command: 2001, payload: FF"
    		status "closed": "command: 2001, payload: 00"
    	}

// UI tile definitions
    	tiles {
            standardTile("switch", "device.switch", width: 2, height: 2, canChangeIcon: true) {
    			state "on", label: '${name}', action: "switch.off", icon: "st.switches.switch.on", backgroundColor: "#79b821"
    			state "off", label: '${name}', action: "switch.on", icon: "st.switches.switch.off", backgroundColor: "#ffffff"
            }
            standardTile("contact", "device.contact", inactiveLabel: false) {
    			state "open", label: '${name}', icon: "st.contact.contact.open", backgroundColor: "#ffa81e"
    			state "closed", label: '${name}', icon: "st.contact.contact.closed", backgroundColor: "#79b821"
    		}
            standardTile("refresh", "device.switch", inactiveLabel: false, decoration: "flat") {
    			state "default", label:'', action:"refresh.refresh", icon:"st.secondary.refresh"
    		}
            valueTile("alarm", "device.alarm", inactiveLabel: false) {
    			state "alarm", label:'${currentValue}'
    		}

main (["switch", "contact"])
    		details(["switch", "contact", "refresh", "alarm"])
    	}
    }

def parse(String description) {
    	def result = null
    	def cmd = zwave.parse(description, [0x20: 1, 0x84: 1, 0x30: 1, 0x70: 1])
    	if (cmd) {
    		result = createEvent(zwaveEvent(cmd))
    	}
    	log.debug "Parse returned ${result?.descriptionText}"
    	return result
    }

def sensorValueEvent(Short value) {
    	if (value) {
    		createEvent(name: "contact", value: "open", descriptionText: "$device.displayName is open")
    	} else {
    		createEvent(name: "contact", value: "closed", descriptionText: "$device.displayName is closed")
    	}
    }

def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.basicv1.BasicReport cmd) {
    	[name: "switch", value: cmd.value ? "on" : "off", type: "physical"]
    }

def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.basicv1.BasicSet cmd)
    {
    	sensorValueEvent(cmd.value)
    }

def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.switchbinaryv1.SwitchBinaryReport cmd) {
    	[name: "switch", value: cmd.value ? "on" : "off", type: "digital"]
    }

def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.sensorbinaryv1.SensorBinaryReport cmd)
    {
    	sensorValueEvent(cmd.sensorValue)
    }

def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.commands.alarmv1.AlarmReport cmd)
    {
    	sensorValueEvent(cmd.sensorState)
    }

def zwaveEvent(physicalgraph.zwave.Command cmd) {
    	// Handles all Z-Wave commands we aren't interested in
    	[:]
    }

def on() {
    	delayBetween([
    		zwave.basicV1.basicSet(value: 0xFF).format(),
    		zwave.switchBinaryV1.switchBinaryGet().format()
    	])
    }

def off() {
    	delayBetween([
    		zwave.basicV1.basicSet(value: 0x00).format(),
    	])
    }

def poll() {
    }

def refresh() {
    }
1 Like

The Device needs the Capabilities: Contact Sensor, Polling, Refresh, Switch

Leave the Jumper on P5

I recall that I turned the wall switch upside down because closing the contact actually turned the fireplace off and opening it turned it on. I believe that this could be fixed in the code somehow but it was easier for me to flip the switch over.

1 Like

Thanks Hans. For some reason I still couldn’t get it to work with your device type, but it is working with this quick app. I’m sure there was a much simpler way, but this works. Its based on the let there be light app.

/**
 *  Let There Be Fire!
 *  Turn your MIMOlite fireplace on when the open/close sensor opens and off when the sensor closes.
 *  Author: SmartThings
 */
definition(
    name: "Let There Be Fire!",
    namespace: "smartthings",
    author: "SmartThings",
    description: "Turn your MIMOlite fireplace on when the open/close sensor opens and off when the sensor closes.",
    category: "Convenience",
    iconUrl: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Meta/light_contact-outlet.png",
    iconX2Url: "https://s3.amazonaws.com/smartapp-icons/Meta/light_contact-outlet@2x.png"
)

preferences {
	section("When the MIMO sensor opens/closes...") {
		input "contact1", "capability.contactSensor", title: "Where?"
	}
	section("Turn on/off a MIMOlite fireplace...") {
		input "switch1", "capability.switch"
	}
}

def installed() {
	subscribe(contact1, "contact", contactHandler)
}

def updated() {
	unsubscribe()
	subscribe(contact1, "contact", contactHandler)
}

def contactHandler(evt) {
	log.debug "$evt.value"
	if (evt.value == "closed") {
		switch1.on()
	} else if (evt.value == "open") {
		switch1.off()
	}
}
2 Likes

I’ve really wanted to do exactly this! However I have read that it is against building code to mix line and low voltage in the same box. This is especially scary to me since we are dealing with the fireplace here. Does anyone have any knowledge if building inspectors will have a problem with this setup, is it up to electrical code and / or it is safe?

Thanks!
Amir

There is no line voltage in the box. The Mimo device is powered by a low voltage dc transformer, mounted remotely in my case. The wall switch just completes the circuit for the mimo (low power).

No problem Jkohlen. I like your implementation better I’ll probably change mine if I ever need to tinker with it again.

@urbanerosion. Hans–first, thanks for the info on doing this implementation with the Mimo, SUPER helpful. One thing I was curious about, you mentioned that doing the installation “in-line” would create status problems in ST… I’m curious, if you didn’t do this in-line, then how did you do it?

Maybe I’m mis-understanding that that means, especially w/o diagrams it’s hard to describe, but I’m assuming that doing the install involves wiring the two low-voltage wires to the +/- and then pulling in a live line to the pwr or PO connector? It also sounds like you had to buy an AC to DC converter? By remote converter what did you mean? The following is what I was thinking about using: http://goo.gl/maItHu

Basically I have a fireplace switch right next to another outlet box containing AC power. I’m thinking about running power from one box to the other, but it appears I’d need a DC converter to power Mimo, and then make sure Mimo is wired correctly to the switch (TBD on my understanding of Inline vs. The Method you used). Is that right?

Thanks in advance.

I was trying to do this same thing with my fireplace and have hit the same issues you have.

I want ST to be able to control the thing, but I also want a wall switch for the fireplace to function. Currently, I have a simple light switch that completes a low voltage circuit that turns the fireplace on and off. I could put in an Evolve LFM-20 to control the fireplace, but then the wall switch won’t really work.

It really seems that what we need is GE 12722 as a wall switch that actually acts as an isolated contact switch like the evolve. Someone must make that?

Use a remotec zfm80…
it’s a dry contact relay, that has contacts for an external switch.
So you can trigger from the push button switch on the device, or an external switch or via zwave…

I used the remote zfm80, a linear auxiliary wall switch, and the big switch app from smartthings.

Additionally, I used a custom device type for the zfm that activates the built in ability to turn off the switch after a given length of time. I chose two hours.

Given that the fireplace is in a remote vacation rental, I’ll be adding a temperature sensor nearby to verify that the pilot is ready to go for guests and as added verification that the fireplace is actually on/off.

Do you even need any additional switch with the ZFM80? It looks like it alone would be fine

Not if you like the looks of the provided one. It’s also a bit larger than the normal décora faceplate, requiring a little dremel action.
I mounted mine behind the fireplace grill (where all the controls are), since there was ac there.
That way you don’t have to fish power to the device location.

Nope, you don’t need an external, additional switch, but in my case I had a nice switch that’s built into the side of the of the fireplace surround and I don’t have a nice “pretty” place to the ZFM80, so have the option to add in an external switch is a great extra.

The relay is pretty smart too. If I turn on the fireplace via SmartThings the physical external switch says “off” of course. If I flip the switch on then, it still knows that the fire place is on so don’t turn it off. I have to flip the switch physically off again, and of course vis versa is the physical switch of on and I turn it off via SmartThings.

This way the switch doesn’t get out of sync with the relay.