Connected Smoke Alarms

No soldering required! There are two little connections with screws so you just need a very small screw driver. Sorry, the picture is so blurry.

That’s what I thought we were doing. No worries. Thanks for the clarification. Here goes

Can you confirm This is correct? The openings for the wires are on the opposite side from the lines on your original image.

The wires connect like in your picture.

FYI: There is no opening in the plastic housing of the Schlage sensor so you will have to drill a little hole in the cover or leave the cover off. Also, It is a good idea to use some thinner cables to connect to the sensor and then small wire nuts (or similar) to connect these to the thicker cables of the relay.

Awesome! I’m gonna break out the Dremmel.

Do we keep the battery installed or is power supplied by the hot lead we connected?

You need the battery (mine has lasted for about 2 years now) The cables you connect to the open/close sensor do not supply any power since they connect to a dry contact relay.

If you connect power to the sensor you will probably blow it
 :slight_smile:

All connected and working great!

@pizzinini @ryanwebb Thank you for your contributions.

Here is how I solved the power issue.
I am using the Smoke Alarm Relay Accessory kit and RS100HC Window Sensor.
I used a small AC power that supplies 3V. The supply came with some old LED lights.
If you can’t find a 3V supply, a 5V supply and a 3.3V regular (LD1117V33) might work if you are crafty.
I took both the supply AND the RS100HC out of their cases, desoldered the battery terminals, and soldered the power supply wires directly to the RS100HC.
After plenty of electrical tape as insulation I stuffed the entire package into the same ceiling box as an existing smoke alarm. It is important to use choose a smoke alarm is at the END of the chain, otherwise there are too many AC wires in the way. The end chain smoke alarm will have only 1 AC wire entering the junction box, vs two (or more).
This makes it possible; otherwise there will most likely not be enough room.
Now the battery indicator always shows 100%.
Minor issue is the RS100HC shows that it’s covered has been removed, but again its minor; Events still process properly.

Anyone tried this with a GoControl Z-Wave Door/Window sensor? It has 2 screw terminals to add another switch.

This setup will work with any Door/Window sensor that allows for external contact closure.

@pizzinini
Sorry if this is already elsewhere (link please), but for those of us a little slower on the up-take when it comes to understanding and fleshing-out what’s needed to be done when looking at a diagram like this, is there any chance you’d be willing to put more words of instruction to this diagram?

I think I already have the pieces and parts that I need
GoControl door/window sensors and
this relay

http://www.amazon.com/Electric-USI-960-Relay-Module-Alarms/dp/B002EVORYS

1 Like

I dont know about the GoControl sensor but it looks like it should work.

Here is a link to the manual for the relay:

From the manual: For the USI relay, yellow replaces orance in the diagram above and you connect the grey and blue wires to the GoControl sensor (disregard the reference to 120V/28V)

It is easiest if you just connect the relay to one of your existing smoke detectors where the GoControl sensor will be close to an existing zwave device (e.g. light switch) to make sure you have a good network connection. Hard wired smoke alarms usually have white, black, and orange/yellow/red cables. If you need additional help, just post a picture of yours.

[edited to correct link for gocontrol user guide]

1 Like

Has anybody had success using @Dan999’s code with a Schlage sensor? I can get it to work using @brianlees’s device handler and treating it as a door sensor, but would really love to have it behave as a smoke detector.

I recommend you look through this thread. I am using @Mike_Maxwell device typi for my Schlage sensor without problems.

My device handler is for a Zigbee device. I don’t know if the Schlage is Zigbee or Z-Wave.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I got this setup over the weekend using an Ecolink window door sensor which is similar to the Schlage and it appears to report battery. I installed both the smoke and CO relays and have two separate Ecolinks for each.

2 Likes

Were you guys able to fit both the relay and the contact sensor into a regular one gang rectangular electrical box?

I hooked up both the smoke and CO relays. The relays are rather large so I took them to Lowes and found a box they would both fit in plus room for Romex wires. The best box was a deep double gang. I chose to use a separate single gang for the contact sensors and used a blank plate and screwed the sensors on to it so I had easy access to change the batteries. I could have screwed them to the double gang blank plate but I will be adding another smoke detector in several months and I wanted to make sure I had room for another Romex and didn’t want to impact the sensors hooked up.

1 Like

Awesome. I too went to lowes and ended up getting a double-gang box. This is what my final product looks like!

1 Like