Confusing Operating Voltage

I am using Smartthings in Indonesia, maybe I am the first in Indonesia :smiley:
If there’s any Indonesian here ? Halo…

I have a little bit confusion, about operating voltage.
I am using 220 VAC power supply. Since US standard using 120 VAC, and most of compatible device for ST is not using multi-voltage (100 - 230 V), It’s hard to me find device that can work on 220 VAC.

And also, most of device not declare clearly about operating voltage. Like Aeon Labs Micro Smart Energy Switch, there’s no information about voltage range. But, some people say that thing work on 220 VAC.

Is there any of you use Smartthings with 220 VAC power supply ?
What are device you are using ?

And there’s a confusion about SmartPower Outlet (from smartthings) , specification say that rated 120 V.
BUT, I can use it normally in 220 VAC
How this can happen ?
Is it possible that other thing with 120 VAC spec might also work on 220 VAC ?

Being able to work isn’t the same thing as working safely. Devices should only be plugged into the power they’re rated for, or with a safety rated transformer/adapter.

At the present time, I believe ST is only being sold for buildings using US/Canadian standards.

You can wait and see what they do with the V2 devices, but personally I’m not expecting to see Asia/Europe standards met for at least a year.

So you have a big decision to make. Home Automation is really popular in
Singapore and fairly popular in Hong Kong. It’s pretty easy to find vendors and web forums in English for those areas who could probably make device and set up suggestions that would work for you in Indonesia.

I’m not trying to chase you away from here, but if I had a friend in Indonesia who wanted to do a home automation project this year, I’d probably suggest they look into Vera instead of ST. Or maybe Fibaro.

I would definitely suggest sticking to devices rated for your power standards, though.

1 Like

His hub is not the question. He obviously has the hub working. He’s looking for recommendations on zwave and zigbee devices that support 220. Any device that works with Vera or Fibaro has the capability to work with SmartThings, it just depends if there is a compatible device type.

This isn’t true even for the US (older GE remotes are a good example), but that’s a separate issue.

As for what he has working, I don’t know. There’s more to it than just voltage, also, as US zwave frequencies (which the ST hub uses) are not the same as Europe’s frequencies. I can have a 220v zwave device that will power on and work with the European standard Fibaro controller and not work with the currently sold ST hub because they’re not transmitting on the same frequency. (In fact using the ST hub as now sold for Zwave in, say, New Zealand would actually be illegal. I don’t know about Indonesia.)

And even if it does power on safely and it does transmit on the US frequency, it might work unreliably just because of local interference (the New Zealand issue but without the actual legal restriction).

So:
Physical device safety (voltage)
Communication protocol (different Zwave frequencies)
Possible legal restrictions
QOS because of local interference with other devices

The issues aren’t about just figuring out the right device type to put in the code.

I stand by my recommendation. I personally wouldn’t try to use the currently sold ST hub for reliable home automation in Indonesia. But I would consider the European version of Vera.

However, that’s just my personal preference.

While everything you just said is true. ST did sell a Euro version to KickStarter backers. And there are US frequency devices that support 220. For instance I run a Aeon Heavy Duty Smart Switch DCS10 which is a 220 device.

There are also reports on the community of devices like these working
Aeon Micro Switches
ZigBee HA Metering Dual-Load 30A Controller ZBMLC30
Leviton 73A00-3ZB

1 Like

Yeah, you’re right. Being able to work doesn’t mean safe.
I’m waiting for support answer about SmartPower Outlet, why this can work on 220VAC, and it’s safe or not.

What I expect more from V2 ST Hub is offline capability and International standard, at least Europe standard.

I know Smartthings since in kickstarter and I do love it.
I haven’t search other product that can match Smartthings.
Have you ever use Vera ? What’s the major difference with ST ?

220 VAC is EU standard, and smart home device that use EU standard surely will use Z-wave freq that not compatible with ST hub. :frowning:

Correct, the hub is not a problem. All of phone charger I know is running on multi-voltage 100 - 230 VAC.

And I don’t know yet about regulation of z-wave frequency in Indonesia.

Nice,
My concern for now is Voltage and Z-wave freq compatibility.

What I need is, Light and Switches that use physical direct connection with AC Electricity.

Since device is battery powered, the only thing matter is Z-wave freq. As long as I use z-wave US there will be problem with ST.

Thank you so much for your preference and information Roberts

I just order Aeon Micro Switch, after I got someone tell me that things work on 220 Volt. can’t wait to use it.
Because Aeon Labs Micro switch is affordable and universal to use, that have on/off functionality

how about light bulb ?
any suggestion ?
The only light bulb that can work, ( as i know) is Philips HUE. I buy Hue from Singapore, that rated EU standard same as Indonesia 220 VAC
I don’t know any other bulb.
Cree connected bulb is only for 120 VAC

Vera is available in eu zwave or US zwave, but is only zwave. No zigbee.

ST made a few EU units for original kickstarter backers, but currently doesn’t sell an EU frequency version. But ST does have Zigbee. :blush:

Dear pak Nico, just read your post and seems like I have the same interest. I’m also from Indonesia (currently leaving in Middle East) and I plan to buy US version of smartthings hub.

Just curious, is there any problem after several months of usage in Indonesia? And do you get any signal interference on your GSM cellphone network due to presence of this hub?

I’ve been use for about a year now, and there’s no problem with signal interference.
I also use wifi router in my house, no problem with wireless signal.

Keep it mind, I use the old version of ST Hub. The newer version should be better handling the signal.
Hope it helps

Hi Mr. Nico,

I’m an indonesian too currently living in US. I am trying to bring back a couple ST hub from the US to Indonesia. My question is how were you able to bypass the communication to ST server in US from your router in Indonesia? I am pretty sure ST server will block your connection based on your IP address (because it’s from a foreign IP) making the hub pretty much useless. Did you use a proxy server to connect to the US?

Terima kasih :slight_smile:

No need to worry, no connection problem here. Just plug in ethernet cable to your router or ISP gateway.