Complex zwave thermostat programming

Typically, thermostats have a 5-2 day programming with a 4-point timer. I would like to have more than that. Is it possible for the SmartThings hub to send commands, say every hour to the thermostat to adjust the temperature? The reason for doing this is to ensure the temperature stays set throughout the programming cycles as there are “happy-trigger” fingers around that like to play with the thermostat setting and manually change the temperature, rather than let the programming run its course. I considered locking the thermostat panel, but there is an app they can always go to and make changes. The only way would be to have a program set the temperature according to my program every hour or so, to ensure it follows the day/night programs. If possible, then how is this done? I have a Honeywell z-wave touchscreen thermostat.

I have a similar program I wrote. It watches the setting and if an occupant raises (or lowers) the temp above (or below) a settable min/max, it will allow the HVAC to run for a short period before bringing the temp back in line to where you want it.

This was written because my family members seemed to think the higher you set the heat, the faster the house would warm up :smile:

Here is the link to the github: [http://goo.gl/i5yzuU][1]

Feel free to modify! It might be a good starting point for what you want.
[1]: http://goo.gl/i5yzuU

2 Likes

Thank you. I would like to try this, but I have no idea how to add it to my Smartthings. Where do I start? Do I have to copy the code? or can this be imported somehow?

@mveras1972 You have to use the IDE for smartthings: Smartthings IDE

In this web app there are utilities for writing your own smartapp. By cutting and pasting the code from the Github listing, you can directly import the app into your smartthings environment.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for that. I copied the code from Github into my account in the IDE, and the app appears in my Smarthings iPhone app. However, it doesn’t seem to work. I entered the parameters such as the high and low temperature for cooling and heating and the time, which I left at 10 minutes, I also selected my thermostat, however, it doesn’t seem to be doing anything. Initially I left the default settings of high temp of 72 during heating, so I manually raised the thermostat to 74, but after 10 minutes, the temp did not change back down to 72. I am not sure what I am missing or if I did anything wrong during the import. Thank you for any assistance.

@mveras1972

I have not looked at that code nor loaded it since my migration to V2 hub. Let me look at it this weekend. It may be an issue with some of the changes.