Cheap phone/tablet for Flic, SmartTiles, etc

Looking for a cheap Android phone/tablet to run SmartThings, Flic, IFTTT, Alexa, etc. Will probably just be hidden away somewhere to run the Flic buttons.

SmartThings app doesn’t say
Flic app requires Android 4.4 Kitkat and BLE
IFTTT app requires Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
Alexa app requires Android 4.4 Kitkat
Sharp Tools app requires Android 3.0 Honeycomb
Tasker app does not say.
Clever Objects requires Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
LANNouncer app requires Android 5.0 Lollipop

So looks like the requirements are Android 4.4 Kitkat or higher with WiFi and Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (BLE) for most apps. Android 5.0 Lolipop or higher if you want LANNouncer. Any suggestions for cheap phone/tablet?

If you want to use LANnouncer for notifications, it’ll need Android 5.1 Lollipop. I have bought Android phones from Walmart for as little as $20

1 Like

I ended up going with the LG Tribute 2 for $35.
Android 5.1
4.5" screen
1.2ghz quad core
1GB Memory (a little low)
8GB Storage (expandable to an additional 32GB with microSD)
CDMA, LTE network
Bluetooth 4.1

It was in the $20-$50 range I was looking for. Would rather of had a GSM phone as I use some cheap H2OWireless pay as you go sim cards for other stuff; just in case I wanted to use this phone in an emergency, but oh well.
We’ll see how it works out.

1 Like

You can get a Kindle Fire 7" for under $30 on Amazon Warehouse deals. I got one that appears to be perfect for $29. I rooted it and put cyanogenmod on it via some simple scripts posted online. I’ve done this on two of them.

Before the Fires I bought some $45 Allwinner tablet or something. The hardware isn’t close to the Fire.

As for cheap phones, I’ve tried a couple of the BLU labelled cheapies. I’m using this one right now.

It’s not bad for $60. I cracked the screen the other day though.

1 Like

So if you use a phone/tablet for Flic, SmartTiles and it has SmartThings app installed on it logged in to your account, will it mess up your presence as it thinks you are always at home?

Not if you don’t set it up as a presence sensor.

How do you do you set up a smartphone as a presense sensor? I just installed the app on my phone and it registered as a presence sensor.

You should be able to find your phone in the device list, go to settings, and remove it.

I’ve installed ST on 5 or 6 devices. I only had it use the phone I carry as a presence sensor.

I installed ST on the new phone, but it did not show up in the device list.

The mobile presence (phone) device is connected to the account you used to login. Try using the primary phone/account to share with the secondary phone using a different email address.

1 Like