CES 2121 (January 11-14, 2021)

That fancy Samsung Robot vacuum has integration with the upcoming SmartThings Pet.

They talked a lot about SmartThings Cooking, too. I thought it was already out in select countries, but maybe not?

2 Likes

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if the pet cam on the really really smart robot can detect poo as an object and avoid it. It won’t be a pretty sight if it can’t
 :wink:

3 Likes

ok, just to clarify
 some of my postings above may not have an integration with ST. i am simply posting interesting items from CES.

2 Likes

The things I could say
 :wink:

I’ll just leave it at it would be nice to have those features in the television since the app doesn’t work with voice readers.

2 Likes

TPLINK Kasa has a cute virtual exhibition, including the new motion-activated dimmer switch. Everything I saw I had a “works with smartthings“ logo, although I didn’t look at all of it. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

This Kasa contact sensor caught my eye. Do they currently offer a hub, or are the implying this works with a hub like SmartThings? The video camera products don’t say WWST. I thought they said at SDC last year they were working on adding their cameras to the integration.

1 Like

still no homekit support from Kasa

No details yet. But they have a zigbee motion sensor that works with their wifi router which has a built-in Zigbee Hub. So I’m guessing it will be that.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1415656-REG/tp_link_ms100_smart_motion_sensor.html

Note that their SR 20 smart home Wi-Fi router has both a zigbee and a Z wave radio, but the app only allows it to work with about a dozen different devices. It’s kind of a weird product, I’m guessing it was intended to compete with Xioami.

https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-WiFi-Router-TP-Link/dp/B077Y939JQ/

The SR20 is marked end of life on their site. I don’t see Zigbee mentioned in any of the specs for the new wifi gear they are showing at CES.

1 Like

Weird, then I don’t know. Coolcam has some Wi-Fi sensors, but they have terrible battery life.

The advantage to Zigbee Sensors is that they would work with some Amazon Echo models while having much better battery life.

1 Like

I guess we have to wait a bit :joy:

1 Like

This is one of those “I’ll believe it when I see it“ product announcement, but it’s definitely interesting.

Yeelight has a partnership with the RAZER Gaming system to allow some of their lights to respond to in game events. It’s pretty cool.

At CES this year, they announced 4 new devices for this line. One of them is a ceiling light which has a regular main white light and then RGBW effects lights built-in. They are announcing it with smartthings integration at launch. It requires the separate chroma device.

Don’t know if it will ever actually come to market, but it’s an interesting product.

2 Likes

This looks like marketing foo foo and looks hella expensive! My current Samsung PowerBot Vacuum gets stuck on every dang thing and is constantly breaking. I can take it apart in less than 3 minutes now. Fixed 5 wheel assemblies, 2 brushes, 3 brush covers and a battery. POS really. Still cool though.

1 Like

@jkp I dont know how to in include the link but I just read an article in engadget about new Phillip’s hue devices & switches. Maybe you can out up the link. Just not sure if any of them work with smartthings.

this article?

1 Like

Yup thank you. They probably only integrate with the hue hub but still, more products coming out. I dont use his lights & prefer devices that integrate directly with the smartthings hub.

The Hue module is very curious. From what I’m reading, it doesn’t control the load on the light circuit itself. You hot wire the line to the load and the wall switch to the module. So the module itself is just a remote for hue bulbs essentially. I thought in some US jurisdictions it was against code to direct wire a light fixture, so I wonder how they’re addressing that?

Very few, NEC allows automated lighting systems, and most have always on power. Except there’s a thing in the NEC about the attic light, there’s supposed to be a switch within arms reach of the entrance to the attic that has control of that circuit.

But in most places, you’re OK in the US.

The really interesting thing is that is not true in the UK, where you are supposed to have one switch in each room with control of the ceiling fitting. hmmmm
 :thinking:

2 Likes