Cellular failover at the network level? (2019)

So the concern is like so many others, to have cellular failover of our security via Smartthings, but it occurred to me that the Works WIth Smartthings cameras for example, the Ring devices, require constant online access to the ring cloud servers to do their job.

Now my cable internet is actually crazy reliable where I live, I know I am VERY lucky in that regard, but I still experience outages due to extreme weather such as hurricanes and tropical storms, floods etc… (I am on high ground thank God!).

I have many other reasons that I would like my entire LAN to stay online in the rare event of a cable internet failure, and I would prefer this to be an automatic failover.

Now I know there are several dual WAN routers on the market, and this is where I am going to throw a wrinkle at ya… I would, and this isn’t a minor preference, but I would MUCH rather prefer a router that is capable of running DD-WRT.

I should probably be asking this on the DD-WRT forum, but I thought folks here might have come up with a solution…

UPDATE: I have answered my own question and want the answer easily findable in this thread, so I am posting it in the first post.

It would appear that DD-WRT has the function I am looking for to allow dual WAN built in, I just need to configure it. It seems like most any router capable of dd-wrt should support this. Other open source advanced router firmware packages such as Tomato will most likely have similar features, and of course, as a last resort, I could have built a SFF Linux host with multiple WAN failover configured as an edge router. But let’s stick with dd-wrt for now…

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual_WAN_with_failover

And I am going to need a cellular modem with a wired ethernet port. Since I am on AT&T this Netgear is a good option.

Of course if your carrier is different, you will need to chose a different modem.

There are some forum discussions on the topic.

Go to the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki, look down near the bottom of the page for the project reports section, and choose the list on “routers and network infrastructure .“ That’s where the cellular connection topics are. :sunglasses:

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section

I think ddwrt is not the best option to Failover, I have tested ddwrt and asus routers, the best option for me its Peplink balance , it has a great monitor network and failover system, great response.

Can the Peplink devices be set to automatic failover with a priority of one port over another so that when it is up it only uses the cable modem? Their talk of channel bonding to increase bandwidth isn’t what I am going for and I don’t see anything about failover on their site from an overly casual glance…

I need to do some research into how to configure it, and if it is worth it, but from a low cost, maximum function point of view, it looks like Ubiquiti Networks has just the right thing…

Ubiquiti EdgeMax EdgeRouter Lite ERLite-3 512MB Memory 3 Ethernet Ports Router

It looks like a pretty basic judging by the interface names, Linux based appliance similar to a Raspberry Pi, 3 what look like gigabit wired ethernet ports, simply set up eth0 for cable, eth1 for Cellular with a celluar modem. Since I am on AT&T I could go with…

NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem – Instant Broadband Connection

Configure eth2 for uplink to my LAN, simply doing NAT from whichever WAN source has control. I just need to figure out, again, how to configure it for failover with cable priority…

1 Like

The Peplink have rules output, to config the output by port, verify the peplink forum if you need more information ,

I have tried the Ubiquiti EdgeMax but the fail over is a little bit slow, and is not automatic config. I think peplink have the best failover implementation. I want to buy a Synology 2600 to try it.

The Peplink says LTE enabled. Does that mean that I can just drop a copatible SIM card in and go? How can I tell what networks it works with?

Some models have a sim slot to add a LTE , but most of peplink routers support usb dongle, check the specs in peplink page to know the bands supported, I use a huawei usb dongle and works great, better than the asus and ddwrt, very stable conection,

Suddenly this thread is a moot point. My primary router is a DD-WRT based router, and apparently I can do what I want within DD-WRT…

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Dual_WAN_with_failover

Per this article, I can assign my last LAN port on my router, which is unused, and associate with a WAN port, and script the failover… Looks pretty easy actually.

So only real hardware addition is the cellular modem.