Ceiling fan control without adding another switch leg

Currently I only have one switch leg for the ceiling fan as a whole (1 switch controls light/fan), I am looking for a solution to control the fan without having to add another switch leg. I was thinking of something along the lines of a micro switch or a fixture module but I’m not sure if those will work. It seems that I’d need constant power at the fixture to accomplish this, is that correct?
Obviously it’d be best to run another switch leg and change the single gang box to a two gang then just have a light switch and a fan switch, but I’m not one to give away money to electricians when i don’t have to :smile:

You could install some type of dual relay in the ceiling fans housing. That is what I used for my bedroom ceiling fan. This is the one I used http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PV0MZLQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

If you decide to go this route, you will need add the custom device type and smart app in your ide. You can find the information about it here https://github.com/mattjfrank/ZWN-RSM2-Enerwave-Dual-Load. This is NOT my work, and I take no credit for it.

The downside is the wall switch will have to remain on, so I used this http://smartenit.com/product/zbws3b/
That will also need a custom device type that can be found here Wireless, Battery Operated Wall Switch, but it works well for me.

This is one of the longest posts I have ever written, I hope I didn’t ramble too much.

2 Likes

That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for, Luis. That’s definitely helpful, thanks.

I did something a little different. I replaced the wall switch with a GE 12730 fan control switch. I then used a Cooper RF9500 to control Smart bulbs in the fan. No new holes in the wall or messing with the fan canopy, and maintained speed control of the fan.

1 Like

But if you turn the fan off, the lights go off?

No. When you are replacing your current switch with the GE fan switch, you would connect the line for the lights directly to the powerline so that it always has power. The smart bulbs on the fan are then controlled by the Cooper rf9500.

I think the OP just has one wire at the switch that powers both the fan and lights. It’s the awful power and pull string design.

Missed it. Sorry about that. My setup had one switch but with dual sliders, one for the fan and one for the lights.

Yep. I can’t imagine what home builders were thinking when they ran 14/2 to a ceiling fan.

$$$, That’s what they were thinking. Cheapest bid possible.

1 Like

I was going to say, “How much more could it be?” but I just checked, and it’s quite a bit more. Things to think of if you’re ever building a house.

An option to consider. Change the bulb to smart bulb and install an aeon micro at the light/fan fixture to control the fan. Using the app control individual device and the dumb switch to kill both. Money is not an issue then change the dumb switch to a smart switch. Now you will have all the control at all time.