I’ve been a Vera user for a long time. If you know Vera, you know it’s a love and [much] hate relationship. With the ongoing and recent Vera issues, I am looking at alternatives. As much as I like openHAB, I do not have time at this point in my life to devote to development of a HA system. I just want things to work…
This is what I know so far if I were to move to ST (when comparing to Vera):
- No web UI – This is important for a HA system that has many devices and more complex setups. It’s also good for monitoring. I know about SmartTiles, but it does not replace a real Web UI. If I must, I’ll live with it…
- Less ability to script and create more complex scenarios.
- No local/direct connection. When there is no Internet connection, there is no access to devices for config/control.
- Probably more stable and reliable
- Native Echo and Harmony integration (Is this true?)
Any other pros/cons that I missed?
Here is why I am really posting–to find out if ST can do some specific things that I am having Vera do today:
In Vera, I use a) a plug-in app to determine dusk/dawn. It determines sunrise/sunset time for each day. b) a motion sensor. c) a Zwave light switch. The scene/script is setup so that from dusk till dawn (timeframe is different each day), when motion is sensed, a light will turn on for a period and I will receive an alert that the light has turned on. During the day, the system will only alert when motion is sensed but not turn on the light.
Using sensors, Vera reminds me when I left the garage door open for longer than a set period of time, and continues to remind me at specific intervals.
Turn on/off attic fan based on a temperature (sensor) thresholds.
Warn me if ambient temp is above or below a certain temperature.
Using s scene, as I am near home, opens my driveway gate, opens the garage, unlocks the door (deadbolt and lever locks), turns on the light, and turns on the AV system (via Harmony).
At specific time frame of the day, send alerts when door/window sensors are tripped
Scenes/scripts to recurringly override thermostat default set temps
Send alerts when battery devices reach a certain low battery threshold
Motion sensor triggers a camera to record for a duration
I know many of these things are probably easily possible with ST, but I would like to know if the more complex scenes can be done (such as item 1).
I would very much appreciate some input.