Can Hue Motion Sensor work with ST without custom DTH?

Hi Mike, we’re sorry to hear about the issues you experienced! You can switch between the handler and the built-in handler but it can’t be a ZigBee sensor because it’s actually a Z-Wave device. So once you adjust all of the settings, you can change the device type to the Z-Wave Plus Motion Sensor and it will go back to running locally. If you’re having problems with reliable detection, please get in touch with our support and we’ll be happy to troubleshoot it for you and find a solution quickly: https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pages/contact-us

That was a typo on my part. Yes they are in fact Z-Wave. As for configuring them with the custom DTH, and then moving them back to a Z-Wave plus sensor? No dice. They revert right back to factory settings. I gave up on them 3 months ago. The only reason I still have them is because I missed the return window with Amazon.

They have been relegated to non-essential duties now (my walk-in closet). When the batteries die, that’s it for them, as I am not wasting money on cr123 batteries for them.

I love the form factor, and the mounting options along with the usb power. I really, really wanted to love them, but they are simply just too unreliable to depend on. It is possible mine came from a bad batch I suppose, but I have already replaced them with SmartThings motions sensors which work 100% of the time.

Feel free to try them, as the price is great, but be warned your mileage will likely vary from what they promise.

It is very interesting that Apple Home Kit see Philips Hue motion sensor which is connected on my HUE bridge, I can read lux, temperature and motion trough Home kit. It is a crap then ST cannot see it… Also I can see trough Apple Home Kit HUE switch.

1 Like

Jan 2021 My hue motion sensor does now show up in Alexa. I have the Hue skill enabled. I have created a routine in Alexa that when motion is detected through the porch windows and porch doorway then Alexa announces that “there is someone at the porch door” and then displays my Tapo Camera feed to the Echo Show. (The camera bit is slow to connect) but the main feature you wanted with motion sensor activity from Hue bridge in Alexa is now a feature.
I came here looking to see whether to buy a Smarthome hub so that I may do ITTT integrations based on hue sensors. Thanks following the above conversations I shall try resetting the sensor outside of Hue bridge and connect via SmartThings to investigate. Cheers.

1 Like

I have multiple Hue Motion Sensors and have simply configured them to run is SmartThings using the available community DTH. Work perfectly and reliably. All functions present, but of course they are no longer visible to Hue.