Can an iPhone be a "presence" sensor?

Just bought a ST starter kit in UK, starting to look into different things now. Can you use an iPhone as a presence sensor, so when you come in the house the hub knows and interact then?

I know I got a presence sensor in the box, but I’m thinking for the rest of the family.
thanks

Yes it can. Just select your phone during set up.

1 Like

Ah great stuff, so, please excuse me I haven’t even read the docs yet, can you add numerous phones to use as presence sensors?

i.e. it will be my ST account, I’ll be admin etc, but I wouldn’t mind adding the wife and kids iPhones as presence sensors so when they walk in the house “stuff” happens.

thanks

Ah so they all have to have a ST account then. Do they need the app etc as well then?

If this is so what does the actual ST presence sensor that I’ve got in my box do over an iPhone? if so I’ll try and sell my presence sensor as won’t use (unless you can tell me other uses?)

thanks

Depending on your location and set up the presence sensor can be considerably more accurate. Get set up first and see what actually works for you before you decide to sell your “extras” There are plenty of post about iOS/Andriod presence not being reliable and the same goes with the key fob. I know for me the key fob’s work better, but your situation maybe different.

1 Like

Yes, they would need an account and the app for presence to work. Also note, I believe additional users have full access to make changes to your account, ie monkey with SmartApp settings and such. Might not be the best idea to give kids access.

It might be more reliable than the iPhone, but mainly it would be for someone or something that doesn’t have a phone as an option or if you didn’t want ST to know your location information. Maybe a pet collar, so you know if they’ve gotten out for instance. Some people put them in the glove box of a car that goes in the garage to trigger the door and it doesn’t matter who is driving.

[quote=“sidjohn1, post:7, topic:29311”]
Depending on your location and set up the presence sensor can be considerably more accurate. Get set up first and see what actually works for you before you decide to sell your “extras” [/quote]
Good advice. My personal experience has been that Android (Nexus 5) and the Samsung/SmartThings presence fob are 100% reliable. Only had ~ 50% success with my wife’s iPhone 6 though. Also take into account when setting up your geofence (the coverage circle around your home for presence detection), that centering it exactly on your house may not be the best placement for triggering dependability. Case in point: We live in the southeast corner of our housing development. The only entry road into the development is on the northwest corner. As a result, when we were walking the dogs, we would go into and out of the edge of the “fence” repeatedly, with unpredictable results. The obvious solution is to make the geofence circle larger, but that might not be a good idea if SmartThings is controlling your door lock or garage door. I resolved the issue by intentionally shifting the geofence center a couple blocks northeast of our residence.

Have fun,and if you have questions, there are plenty of people here to help!