ByeBye Smartthings, you're too unreliable!

Are they Osram’s by chance? If so, catch up on a few other discussion on Osram and you’ll see where a firmware update may be needed.

I prefer to eat mine with Jam and Clotted Cream. Lovely!!! :wink:

1 Like

Sconce

Scone

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/scone.html

2 Likes

Ah. Now I understand…

2 Likes

i just moved all my stuff back to Fibaro home center 2. Smarthings is great and work with many things but not reliable (run it for less than a week). This community is great I got most of my questions answered and I don’t get this sort of response in the fibaro forum. The routine that is not reliable. It is driving me crazy and using webcore to do repeat loop to check each light is really not the right way. The reason I buy smarthings is it support integration with alexa and google home right out of the box as well as the availability of ifttt channel. I have powered up my pi again to run ha-bridge. Here we go no more cloud and it is again fast and responsive + 100% accurate all the time with alexa and google home.

Different things work for different people. The important thing is that you found a system that works for your household. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m new to smartthings and haven’t been able to read through many posts but this caught my attention because I feel like I’m going to be there in a couple months when I finish fixing up my house.

Why is anything on the cloud? Or rather, why does any automation take place on the cloud if everything that needs to be done IS local…in the home where the device is? Especially if common sense tells you that this will slow down the process and cause security issues with security systems.

Once I finish fixing up, I’m going to start researching other platforms for more reliability and speed if this stuff hasn’t been addressed.

How long has v2 been out, and how long did it take v2 to do e out from v1? Just curious of a potential time frame to v3.

v3 is likely just around the corner. Not sure how much local processing will be available.

Here is an interesting read about “v3 hub”…

“But here’s the thing: When used with a SmartThings hub, you can control your system using the SmartThings app. When your SmartThings devices are connected to the Connect Home router, you’ll need to use the Connect Home app. Ask any SmartThings user their opinion on this, and they’re likely to say that swapping apps certainly can’t make anything worse. The SmartThings app is notoriously difficult to use and has maintained a low rating on iTunes for years. Will the Connect Home app be just as cluttered and difficult to use? TBD.”

3 Likes

Yup, me too. Bye Bye

I purchased a hub V2 a while back to try this out and have had nothing but problems. I added only 3 items in my test (2 switches for lights and a water sensor) and Stupidthings can’t even manage that.

The items drop off the hub, then I have to reinstall. I’ve had enough. I have another unit running over 30 items in our smart home and they NEVER cause an issue but Samsung can’t seem to get this right.

I then look at other Samsung products: washing machines that shake themselves to pieces, phones that catch fire, fridges that pee on the floor, TV’s that fail just after the warranty expires, and I think no wonder Smartthings doesn’t work either.

So Bye Bye… it’s up for sale on Kijiji… let someone else fight with it…

Maybe size matters… Your mesh was kind of tiny, which could be the problem with the lack of satisfaction.

I’m running around 175 physical devices and have Huge mesh… Total satisfaction here!

Maybe if you extend your mesh it will help?

2 Likes

Nope, I’m done… no more Samsung anything… I’ve had enough.

Don’t understand all the fuzz…

With SmartThing HubV2 + webCoRE and alot of cheap devices from Xiaomi, Orvibo etc. I have nearly no problems! Sure, sometimes there can be something that buggers me. But thats thats maybe 2-3 times for the past couple of months.
If you think OpenHAB or whatever won’t bugger you at all - no way…

With SmartThings I get nice mobile app. Wife can use (and wants to) use it. Great community. Great device support.

Bye :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello there,
I’m a new ST user as well and I completely agree with the OP regarding the reliability. It’s very unreliable. I have only few devices, but I see the issues even when they are used in the same room. Apart from the grueling steps to pair with devices, many of them goes to “unavailable” very often in the short time I tested. Especially in the evenings. Not sure why or if there is too much interference or something, but the devices show offline for no reason even if it is sitting next to the hub. The status.smartthings page shows everything’s operational. I don’t know how this is called production ready and you can use it for security and monitoring purposes.

Maybe it works for some people flawlessly (I still think pairing is PITA), not anywhere close to mainstream. This is what Apple does best when they release something (I know abt Apple maps). Maybe I’ll try again in a year.

before anyone starts any Apple/Android war, I’m an android user for life, from rooted galaxy s2 to now note 8. So there’s that. I’m not a beginner to gadgets and stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

My experience has been the total opposite… I had an existing home automation network using Honeywell TuxedoTouch… It was horrible… Than I ran in to the problems of having a million apps to manage my home ecosystem…

I was after ST back when it was in KS… I never pull the plugged been afraid of all of the issues that I ran with KS.

With time I grew tired of Honeywell’s BS system and I just gave up… About 1+ month ago I decided to consolidate my home ecosystem to one app and one system and that’s when SmartThings came to mind again.

At first I did had problems… The main problem I keep running in to was unstable cloud connectivity and unstable Z-Wave network…

Within a few days I found my problems… I was trying to connect ST to my network with a wireless bridge and it was causing all kinds of connectivity issues, After I connect ST to my Ethernet network, All my connectivity issues where gone! After that was solve I started battling the issues I had with Z-Wave… The main issue was an unreliable Z-Wave Network… Playing around with some apps from @RBoy I ran in to some issues and @RBoy gave me an amazing advice, Make sure you have a solid connection to your devices and you will see a difference… Sure enough! I went and bought a few Z-Wave Plus repeaters and my connection have been SOLID! :smiley:

Couldn’t be happier with SmartThings!

2 Likes

I had a good experience with my foray into smartthings. Setup about 15 devices and got webCoRE going and things were pretty reliable with help from community members. It is a modest setup and I had put some time into it so I decided it was time to figure out my backup process so I didn’t lose my invested time and…not an option. There’s no backup option. I wasn’t thrilled about the idea of cloud processing, but could live with it. I jumped ship when I found out I couldn’t backup. My hometroller from homeseer is on its way now. I’ll figure that platform out and then migrate my initial setup over. Bye Felicia!

Hey for all of y’all that are jumping ship… got anything you want to sale?

5 Likes

Do you have health check turned on in your app? Try turning it off because it is known to be somewhat buggy.

Now you are thinking. We need to take advantage of the ship jumpers

3 Likes

Hi,
Yes, I read about that here in the forums and turned Device Health off. ST is frustrating because I really want to like it. It’s a great convenience to access the devices directly from Samsung connect from the notification shade in Note8 without opening smartthings app. Great feature. It needs to be little more stable for it to be reliable for me. Although the motion sensor worked perfectly the whole time. Maybe I’ll just buy few of those and try again. Thanks.