Building new house, which zwave switch to use?

I’m building a new house, and soon the electrician will be coming back and installing all the light switches. I’ll have dimmers, 3 ways, and just the regular one switch one light setup.
Currently I have two of the Leviton Zwave switches in my current house. They have been working great for 6 months. I see GE has a Zwave switch too, and is cheaper. Which one has a better track record? I’m going to be buying at least 20 of these things.

(Jimmy) #2

This is like asking what car brand is best. Everybody will have different opinions. I’ve personally used GE and Zooz with success.

Agreed. I like the Jasco/GE/Honeywell but that’s only because that’s what I used (28 of them) and they worked well for me. I have nothing to compare to from personal experience.

Whatever you do, you probably want to be consistent throughout the house so all your switches work similarly. Be consistent with paddle/toggle and color as well.

Do you want scene control too? Look at Inovelli.

(Ron Talley) #4

You might want to check with @TheSmartestHouse about a bulk discount on the Zooz Z-Wave Plus…

I personally went with the GE and I really like the GE Z-Wave Plus because with each switch/dimmer, you get 2 additional buttons. Double Tap Up and Double Tap Down that you can assign to whatever rule you like.

But it really is a matter of taste.

Congratulations on the new house, that’s always exciting! :sunglasses:

See the light switches discussion in the device class features FAQ. The conversation in light switches starts around post 40.

The short answer is that on a good/better/best Scale the GE devices are at the high-end of the good category and the Leviton devices are at the high-end of the better category. But good is good enough for many people, and the GE devices are very popular. :sunglasses:

(Jason) #6

I also like the lutron caseta line of switches paired with a GE fan switch if you need an independant fan. That’s what I’m using in my home. Although the lutron switches need a seperate hub, they integrate into ST very well.

Is there a GE switch model that specifically provides this capability, or is this something that you get with their standard Z-Wave Plus switches with a custom DTH?

Do you know if there are any that match inovelli toggles? I’ve decided on them, but they’re out of stock until who knows when.

Oh, I think you’ll be close enough to assume “white” is “white” and “light almond” is “light almond”, although there will be a slight variation between manufacturers. I have a 3-gang with two GE smart switch and one Leviton dumb switch that are all light almond, but there is a difference but only if you are looking for it closely.

I just meant that your choice of smart switch should include considering what colors they have with respect to other (dumb) switches in the house.

I can’t say enough good things about the Homeseer switches. The new 200 series gives you up plenty of control with up to 5 taps up and 5 taps down (the 100 series lets you do 3 up or 3 down). Plus the lights on the side of the dimmers can be used as status lights.

They are a little bit more, but they’re well worth it!

(Ron Talley) #11

I just watched the video and wow! Yeah these offer a lot. Going to pick up a couple for my Man Cave. Gotta a lot of stuff going on in there! :rofl:

(Borristhecat) #12

Im in the UK and don’t like the massive switches you have over there across the pond. Aesthetically they are horrible so I prefer to have the intelligent device then have my switches connected too them i.e the fibaro dimmer 2 with push to make or center off retractable switches.
Alternatively if you have a smart lamp I use the fibaro universal binary input to do the same although that requires you to wire 9-24v down to where they are installed. But in doing that I also utilise the temp sensor that you can connect too them and leave it behind the switch to monitor the temperature of the room. :slight_smile:

(Lighty) #13

Can’t go wrong with GE Z-Wave Plus, I have about 27 of them and never an issue.