Building a DH/Smart App to control a sliding Gate with position monitoring: how to put two devices in one DTH like the garage door does?

I am looking for help building a DH/Smart app to take two devices, A Remotec Zwave Dry Contact switch ZFM-80 and a Ecolink door and window sensor DWZZWAVE2.5-ECO, and combining them into a single “Front Gate” device in the My Device tab that will look and feel line a garage door controller. I have tried to figure this out for the last couple of days but I know my limits and know that I am not a Coder. I know the hardware side really well but the software side gives me a migraine. :slight_smile:

Anyone ever done something like this that could either get me on the right path or is willing to do some work on the side?

What I do know already,

ZFM-80 needs the DH Zwave Momentary push button on it. (I have already updated it in the IDE.

I have tried to use the garage door controler DH’s and smart apps but everything is configured to other devices and not the ones I already have.

It currently works just fine to have 2 devices right next to eachother one that does the control and one that shows the open close status but I really want them to be one device/favorite so it looks cleaner on the favorites page.

I use the LGK Virtual Garage Door smart app. It effectively combines your devices as you have setup into one tile.

My setup uses a dry contact switch , FS20Z, with a monoprice tilt sensor but there are posts in that forum stating that it will work with a door/window sensor. Has worked perfectly for me.

1 Like

See this topic for some ideas. If you have access to RBoy Apps you could use it with your relay and sensor.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply I will look into this.

EDIT: This absolutely is what i am looking for!!! and its FREE!!! thanks for the heads up this is great. Now to figure out how to change the pictures in the app to a gate instead of a door… hahah OCD is not cool

There is a way, if you want to try your hand and create your own custom version of the device handler.

Under the tiles section (example below), you can edit the icon to whatever you like, just update the url. They are currently set to st.doors.garage-open and st.doors.garage-closed (smartthings default garage open and closed icons). I don’t recall a stock gate icon but you can always make your own.

tiles {
		standardTile("toggle", "device.door", width: 2, height: 2) {
            state("closed", label:'${name}', action:"door control.open", icon:"st.doors.garage.garage-closed", backgroundColor:"#00A0DC", nextState:"opening")
			state("open", label:'${name}', action:"door control.close", icon:"st.doors.garage.garage-open", backgroundColor:"#e86d13", nextState:"closing")
			state("opening", label:'${name}', icon:"st.doors.garage.garage-closed", backgroundColor:"#e86d13")
			state("closing", label:'${name}', icon:"st.doors.garage.garage-open", backgroundColor:"#00A0DC")

Jon my man…you just made my day! I now have a weekend project for all of my devices… I also found a cool list that has a bunch of the standard icons.

http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://github.com/krlaframboise/Resources/blob/master/SmartThings-Icons.html

Sad that there isn’t a Samsung managed site that has them all but oh well.

Now the next question is how do i use the below images that i created to update the pictures? I see lots of old posts saying you can do it with github which i don’t have so… any ideas anyone? BTW I made these and anyone can use them. :slight_smile:

@fieldsjm

Would it be possible to add a second sensor to this code? Instead of relying on a single contact sensor to let me know the gate is closed I would like to be able to have two sensors one that says the gate is open and the other to tell me it’s fully closed.

It would get rid of the timed check function and say opening or closing until the two switches transmit their position open or closed…? Is this possible? I have already got this up and running and it works great for the gate on one sensor but I need help adding the second contact sensor to give me the assurance that the gate is in the correct position and properly display the opening/closing feedback.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

© 2019 SmartThings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy

SmartThings; SmartApps®; Physical Graph; Hello, Home; and Hello, Smart Home are all trademarks of the SmartThings, Inc.