BR30 color changing bulb that will work directly w/ ST

Here is my scenario. I have a multi sensor for temperature and motion in my outside fridge. What I want is to be able to change the color of a light bulb in my kitchen when the fridge gets warmer then it’s supposed to.

I know Phillips has a solution and I think that’s too expensive and over kill for what I want.

Any bulbs o can do this with directly?

Thanks

1 Like

Osram/Sylvania makes one. This bulb connects directly to SmartThings, you do not need their gateway.

That said, there is a known issue with this brand where if your network is busy, it will identify itself is a zigbee repeater to your hub but it may lose some of the messages it is given to repeat, kind of like a buffer overflow situation.

Whether or not this is a problem really depends on whether you have others zigbee repeaters nearby and of course whether you have zigbee battery powered devices trying to use a repeater.

Some people find they don’t have any problems with these bulbs on their network, others have found they needed to remove them or they were continually losing messages from their nearby sensors.

The Hue bulbs connected through the hue bridge do not have this problem.

You can get GE link bulbs in BR30 too. But they also can have their own issues, they can just randomly disconnect from the hub sometimes.

Anyone have a new 2020 almost 2021 BR30 Color recommendation. Looks like everyone is going towards no hub and wifi. Is there a good BR30 that will work with ST anymore?

Philips Wiz. They are a pain to pair sometimes. But have been running strong for me since day 1. I am up to about 15 of them. They are better than the 10 or so HUE bulbs I have as well.

Still the osram that @JDRoberts mentioned. Still works great

Sengled Zigbee Multicolor BR30s are great. They are end devices so won’t cause repeating issues.

1 Like