Blanking off a light switch (UK)

I bought these…

Although they show black ones the listing is actually for white ones
They work really well to stop people switching off my Hue bulbs

1 Like

I got one of these 3D printed.

1 Like

why not use appropriate sized choc blocs (screw terminals) and actually use a blank face place?

Cost a few quid and will look better than trying to make a cover for the existing switch!

Two reason…
What if you need to manually switch it when ST is offline?
I don’t think that ‘code’ allows it to be unswitched :slight_smile:

Why not use fibaro zwave relays?

You can use it via smartthings and can also switch manually.

1 Like

Ideal solution mhgbay to replace existing switches with fish key switches and either then mask them with a removable fascia or just site your hue tap etc on top so it’s removable in an emergency, giving access to the key switch underneath:

How do you wire this emergency switch? Can’t see any diagram on the website

I have 3 wires behind my plug

Please explain more

Hi had same problem with blanking active switches so just got blanking plates and drilled two holes in face to allow switch to be turned on and off with a matchstick underneath

This always seemed like a neat solution to me:

Disclaimer - never actually used them. Fibaro modules and regular switches for me all the way. But if I were to go with Hue, this would probably be my preferred solution. Mainly because the actual switch remains easily accessible if you have issues.

I’m currently debating whether to go with those Samotech covers + Hue Dimmers so that the wired switch is still accessible and functional, or if I should remove the existing switches and replace them with these:

I’m trying to think of a situation where I’d need to be able to fully switch off the light circuit rather than just turning off the Hue Bulb wirelessly. As someone already said, there’s always the circuit breaker box…

Another option is this guy who 3D prints covers that hold the Hue Dimmer: https://www.facebook.com/3DPrintConcepts/

When Philips last year announced a number of new friends of Hue partnerships which included various switches I had hopes these would be wired switches that integrated with Hue. Sadly they are all wireless switches and in effect are equivalent to the Philips Hue dimmer switch or Tap switch. This also applies to the Niko you listed. The Niko could probably be put over the hole a normal wired switch occupies although you might have to hardwire on the circuit.

Whilst Philips’ more recent software enhancement which now finally and obviously restores bulbs to their previous state when powered back on is a big step forward I am now leaning towards using hardwired smart switches and giving up on Hue bulbs.

Sadly the options for smart hardwired switches in Europe are very limited. There is the LightWaveRF range which are too ugly for my taste, there is the new Den range but it has almost no integration options and in any case both force you to have either all switches or all dimmers in a single unit. All the better products are only available in the US and the US makers seem completely oblivious to the the fact life - even intelligent life exists outside the US. :frowning:

As a result I am now leaning towards using micro modules and momentary wired switches.

When you say a tap in every room can you put a link to what that is please?

You are responding to a post that is four years old, and a lot has changed in that time.

When that post was written, Philips, hue offered a control device for their bulbs called the Tap. It did not require mains power, so you could put it anywhere you wanted.

However, since that time that particular device has been discontinued in some countries and replaced with a new model called the Tap Dial.

Anyway, the point is that today there are now a number of remotes, including the Friends of Hue switches, which can be used to control hue bulbs, connected to a hue hub. These are these batteries or kinetic energy so they can be placed anywhere.

Assuming you are using the Samsung SmartThings ™ home automation, which is what this forum is for, there are quite a few different devices that now fit this category. :sunglasses: