[BETA v0515] Hampton Bay Zigbee Ceiling Fan/Light Controller

Thanks you so much, I’m moving from Wink and I got my Fan working. But my one question is there going to be an updated so you can control the fan using the new app vs the classic app?

Thanks again so much!

I also wish this worked with the new app. For now I’ve gotten around the problem by using a bond but it isn’t as nice as a real zigbee or zwave device. For one thing it doesn’t remember states.

I’m another WiNK refugee. Can someone, in the simplest possible terms, tell this noob how to add the “Home Decorators” fan to my SmartThings app?
The “Home Decorators” / Home Depot brand does not exist in the Smartthings app.

Idk if you got your answer? I see wink, home Depot, and fan, and I think you may be looking for the king of fans device handler. This one.

Wow. Disregard. I was in another topic and tried to get to the bottom and saw your comment thinking I was in that topic still. But since I made myself party to your issue, where are you stumbling?

Based on your comment about searching for a brand, I’m going to guess you’re using the new app rather than the classic. To pair zigbee or z-wave devices that aren’t officially supported using the new app you need to put the device in pairing mode and then use the “Scan” option in the upper right of the add device menu. That said, while you may be able to pair the fan controller with the new app, the device handler that this thread is about has extremely limited functionality with the app, and you’re much better off using the classic app instead.

Unfortunately if you’ve not added custom device type handler before, a “simple” walk through for installing this device and the custom code required to get it to work doesn’t really exist. It’s just not a simple procedure. I would suggest you read this FAQ first, which will explain the basics of adding custom code in SmartThings, and then come back and read this thread starting at the very beginning.

2 Likes

Just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU! I have one fan in my house that doesn’t have separate light/fan switches so I bought this controller. Put the DTH’s in place and the child devices all popped up. Showed up initially as “thing” of course, but I had already put the DTH’s in and just switched it in the IDE.

Best part is, now I can automate some things for my son’s room - have his light come on slowly in the morning like our nightlights do and shutoff the fan (he always gripes about being cold when he wakes up and wants the fan off.)

Edit: forgot to put stats in; V2 hub, using old app. I had previously tried with the new app and it didn’t work too great so I gave up on it a while back, decided to give it another go today and was very pleased!

I searched the thread and couldn’t find the issue I’m having…

Two of three of the fans I’m using have duplicated themselves in both Alexa and Webcore. I just deleted all devices and rediscovered again in Alexa, and the duplicates returned.

Any idea what I’ve done wrong here?

Go into ST APP > Automation > Smart Apps > Amazon Alexa and turn this off. You can then designate exactly which ST devices that Alexa can see or not see.

For Webcore, you should look at your list of devices, and remove the extra ones by unselecting them.

1 Like

Thanks, but I’d really like to figure out how they got duplicated in the first place. Not everything is duplicated, just 2 of the 3 fans.

So, you’ve had these fans for awhile, and they just recently duplicated themselves?

Have you looked in the IDE to see if there are duplicates there?

I can’t really be sure when they duplicated themselves.

And yes, I’ve only noticed it in Webcore and Alexa. IDE looks normal.

Although tedious, you might consider starting from scratch. Remove and exclude the two fans, and do a reset (turn off breaker [or remove wire] for 3 seconds, turn on for 3 seconds - repeat 5 times.) I just recently had to do this for my master bedroom fan which has a tendency to drop off…the other three have worked fine for years.

I had one duplicate when it “fell off” the network after a power outage and I had to re-add it.

If memory serves me correctly, upon adding it back, it was assigned a new network ID. I believe I ended up comparing the current ID of the parent with the duplicate devices to determine which of the devices were the ones I wanted to keep and deleted the others.

I didn’t want to delete the device as I use it in a lot of automations

So my fan controller has been offline for a while. Got it all rest and paired up as “Thing”. I went ahead and got the DTH all working. The fan and light show up fine in SmartThings Classic, but in the v3 app, they don’t look right, and don’t work right. Is there any fix for the v3 app? Just curious.

Nope, a lot of custom DTH’s don’t function properly in the new app. The only function available for me in the new app is toggling power of the parent device.

That’s what I figured. Not a huge a deal, since I mainly just use Alexa for that anyways. It seems to be working much better now that I have an ikea zigbee outlet in there as a repeater too.

Yeah, the new app just doesn’t handle child devices well at all. Maybe someday ST will fix this, hopefully before the classic app goes away.

I use an Ikea Tradfri plug as a repeater too. Worked fine without a repeater when the fan was off, but only ~70% of the time with the fan running due to signal interference. Put the Trafri plug on top of a bookshelf so that the signal gets up over the fan blades and it’s rock solid now.

It’s more than possible to integrate fans with the new app. Bond does it well. There is a version of this DTH that has some compatibility with the new app but it’s a mess and unfinished. I’d be willing to contribute a bounty for someone to finish it so that it has one fan device and one light switch device just like the bond implementation.

The bond integration is C2C so creating separate devices is easy. I believe the issue with this device is that it sends multiple endpoint messages on the same zigbee cluster, which SmartThings doesn’t handle well. There are some workarounds for the classic app, but I don’t know that anyone’s figured this out for the new app yet.