[BETA] GOOGLE HOME HELPER-From the author of Ask Alexa

Excellent…I can’t wait to try them out…honestly, my new app will be like Alexa Helper, using the context of ‘on’ and ‘off’ to control everything else…I personally can’t wait to see the functionality OUTSIDE of SmartThings…

Try asking for a translation of a word or a phrase.

Like “Hey Google, How do you say I want a pizza in Italian”

This is great!

I have a Home arriving Monday and am happy to help with beta testing if you’d like. I’m only moderately tech savvy (I don’t code) so you’d get the more ordinary user perspective. Can make a modest donation too. Great work on Ask Alexa. Just installed and have been learning how to use it best.

Excellent. Glad you like Ask Alexa! I just polished the Google Home Helper documentation today and will make another pass tomorrow while waiting for my device to arrive Wednesday…should be fun to play with this!

1 Like

Are you still looking for donations for the beta testing group? Also is there a possibility for voice feedback like a Sonos when an event happens? Thanks.

To answer your question…yes…feel free to donate here: https://paypal.me/mstruck

Regarding feedback to the Sonos, not sure what you mean…when a door opens, for example? That is really outside the scope of this app. However, there ARE voice reports that you can initiate via the Google Home…is that what you mean?

Yes like for a door opening. I will play around with a handler when I get home, it would be nice to have a report for different situations. I’m thinking about getting some echo dots so I can play around with ask Alexa, it looks pretty cool.

It is. Let me know via a donation if you want to be a beta tester.

I just made a donation. Would like to be a beta tester.

Got it! I have added you to the list. I just got my Google Home up and running this morning and am going to be testing the new app this weekend. I should have an update for beta testers by next week if all goes well!

First question for the community is a rather easy one…I am not clear on how to set up a voting thing, but here is the question:

The icon I use is an offshoot of my Ask Alexa App:

However, Google home uses the little dot icons for their ‘assistant’:

So the question is…shouId I modify the icon with the “Dots” or keep Google Home Helper icon (G) as it is now…I can see arguments for each…

Let me know her via the forum and we can all discuss.

To dot or not to dot by @MichaelS

• Keep the G icon
  • Add the Assistant Dots

0 voters

I have been playing with this new Google Home, and while the main integration is just ‘ok’…I am rather impressed with the IFTTT integration. This is something that Alexa didn’t do so well, and may be the ‘game changer’ for Google Home. The response is a bit ‘slow’ (i.e. less than a minute), but it does work.

I will be updating the instructions I am publishing with Google Home Helper to reflect this functionality, which makes Google Home Helper even more powerful by linking the IFTTT and virtual switches to run routines, modes, and other functions natively.

1 Like

just a word of advice but lets steer clear of using any type of Google branding, that involves their color scheme…this will help with a headache later on. My vote is lets go for something unique and that doesn’t resemble their branding. I have seen google go after indie devs for stuff like this, such as shutting down dev accounts.

Very good advice…Let me come up with something a bit more original.

edit I contacted Google directly to get permission or denial to use these. Thanks for pointing this out…I am working on another icon that use more of a ‘house’ look that will be more original.

paypal sent, I’d like to be beta too

Replied this morning…thanks!

Michael, thank you so much for working on this!
Alexa helper is one of the most impressive apps in the entire marketplace…so Google Helper should be awesome!

One feature ask…in Scenarios to create a scene liked “Dinner Scene”…can you please add the ability to set Dimmer levels for each individual Dimmer?

Unfortunately that would add a bit of complexity to a rather simple request. Dimmers are handled in groups so as one dimmer goes as does the group.

I will see what can be done about this.

Got word from Google that they would prefer that I don’t use their logos in my products. No surprise…the good thing is that I have a few options here and will move in that direction!

2 Likes