Best NON HUB smart switch

I am a fan of Lutron switches, but I really don’t want to have another hub just for switches. What are people using in the US?

I’m assuming you already have a smartthings hub, correct?

If so, aside from the Lutron ( which requires its own bridge because it uses a different frequency radio, one which the smartthings hub does not include) , there are many different Z wave switches which are very popular in the community. Zwave Devices can be connected directly to the smartthings hub and do not require a separate bridge. Different zwave switches have different features and of course cost different amounts, so there’s no one “best.“ It just depends on your own preferences.

The device class features FAQ has a light switch discussion starting around post 40 in that thread that discusses some of the different brands, features, and why people might choose one over another. (The topic title is a clickable link)

And the official compatibility list has a number of different light switch brands, including Leviton, Zooz, and GE.

https://www.smartthings.com/products/-/filter/categories/lighting-and-switches

Zooz is from a small company and has become increasingly popular in the last two years because they offer a lot of features at a relatively low cost. One of their staff members is very active in this community if you have any questions about specific models. And if you need a lot of them, they can also sometimes get you a small quantity discount.

@TheSmartestHouse

But there are many different brands and style choices in Z wave switches, so it’s really up to you.
:sunglasses::level_slider::bulb:

1 Like

Unfortunately according to when I am seeing from smart things documentation your Lutron switches would require the Lutron bridge. If you want switches that will pair directly to smart things I can highly recommend you talk to the smartest house.com about their Zooz Zwave switches. I’ve been implementing them along with new tone and GEI have honestly the Zooz have been the least hassle installing or configuring…

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendations @JDRoberts and @BigHoss!

@piersm2 if you have any particular requirements for the switches in terms of functionality, let us know and we should be able to find the best model for you. If you’d like to give the Zooz switches (our in-house brand) a try, we’ll have a few models on sale this Memorial Day so check the website on Monday.

Feel free to reach out to us with questions anytime!

1 Like