Best alternative to Lutron Caseta

After much thought and consideration I have decided to give up on Lutron Caseta and look for a reliable alternative that is fully supported by ST. Is there a dimmer switch that has instant status? I’ve read conflicting reviews on both GE and Enerwave dimmers, which one is better, or is there something else to be considered?

Cooper and some (but not all) of the Leviton models pay the Lutron patent and also have instant status. None of the GE or enerwave do.

In my personal opinion, the Coopers are the best engineered Zwave switches which is reflected in their five year warranty. The Levitons are also a good switch.

Switches that do have instant status will be significantly more expensive than the ones that don’t.

Instant status does not affect how quickly the light turns on when you hit the switch. It affects how quickly the hub knows that the light turned on. So a lot of people don’t need it.

On the other hand, if you intend to have switches operate in groups, so that one is slaved to another, then instant status can make a big difference.

2 Likes