Batteries please fix (ST devices die at around 67%)

Wish I could find that on the website to throw back at them. So far not seeing it anywhere on the motion sensor page. I mean sure, 1 year is fine with me… but my issue is that how can I know its about dead when its scale is 67-100. I have to go off what they tell me and 67 != 0

How about from their own advertising on their own official website in the UK?

TECH SPECS
Power
Rated Voltage
3 V
Battery
Type
CR-2450 (1x)
Battery Life
Up to 2 years

Multi sensor, my complaint is about motion sensor. And I’d feel kinda bad using the UK site, one could argue ‘radio differences in the UK sku’… which is BS but hey its an excuse. Nice find tho…

Says exactly the same for the motion sensor. Wasn’t really a find" as such. I purchased into smartthings based on this very information. If they turn round and retract this then I have basically been lied to and there are a whole host of trading standards in the UK that violates.

Hmm well ok. I dont know if I ever noticed battery life when I was buying. My metric is a little less than 2 years but totally understandable. Not saying you are wrong or anything…

Up to two years doesn’t mean two years. It means you could at best get two years. But one could get 3 months.

Yeah for me, battery life was an important aspect as I was going to buy into it big and did not fancy having to go round every few months replacing batteries everywhere. So when you mentioned the lifespan it jumped out to me. This is the same reason I did not consider the Arlo cameras as the advertised battery life was only 6months!

Yes but that would be misleading and it is definitely not allowed in the UK. You could also have it depleting in 5 days or two weeks and use the same argument. If you say up to 2 years you must be in the ball park.
You are also not allowed to use different language before and after sales.
eg “up to 2 years” before a sale
customer services telling you 6-12months after sales.

It all depends on how much you use it. If you have a door or window that never opens it will last allot longer then one that opens many times every day. It’s basic common sense.

Seems to affect all their products. I am getting new washer and dryer and checked last time they talked and the water sensor was at 67% and dead for over a month. Now I have to check all their products. I will not be buying Smartthings branded devices if this isn’t fixed soon. It takes time to go thru 40 plus devices.

And it was well under a year.

The problem is not just with Smartthings devices. I had a couple of IRIS devices “die” quietly and the battery level was 67%. The problem is that there is no indication that they are not reporting.They were two contact sensors that were installed on windows that were not used much. Can all devices be polled once a day and an alert issued if the device does not respond?

Yeah I have that and guess I need to set it up but something as simple as this should not take a third party. Just about anything can tell you battery levels now a days but not something that is supposed to make your house smarter and secure.

1 Like

It’s not easy to accurately measure battery charge and predict end of life on these off the shelf batteries. Cell phone batteries have a lot of electronics built in to monitor charge and discharge. These batteries don’t. The best we can hope for is to be notified when Device is not responding. I don’t think there is much that Smartthings can do to accurately predict battery life

My TiVo remote is pretty darn accurate. More so then dying at 67%. It is allot around 10-20%

No, what I’m saying is that your quote of 3 months is ridiculous and not common sense…

If a door opens all the time like say 40 a day do you think it is? My front door does due to kids and that one sensor last about 3-4 months. I have even swapped it for an Iris one with same results so not so uncommon sense as you might think. The more something gets used the quicker the battery will die. Simple logic but mabey not common sense for some.

I suggest you have something wrong. I have a lot of sensors and the most used one is on a fridge door which gets as much use as you described if not more, with a big family. Stayed working over a year and was only recently replaced after the firmware updates. I’d still say 3months is extreme

I will say after the last update it’s when it got worse.

Yeah I seem to have a similar issue with one of my motion sensors dying last week with 67% battery level showing.

Be prepared more will follow I’m up to 10 that have died at that level. Going with now 67% is the new 0 but you have to look at every device and it’s hard.