@bamarayne Tell me about your Toilet!

Yes, I have a pressure mat in the couch so I can tell if someone is sitting on it, no joke. Take a seat, right now it is not occupied.

3 Likes

That isā€¦wow

1 Like

oh manā€¦ I have GOT to get some of theseā€¦ for the couches, the bedsā€¦ the toilets!

3 Likes

You guys are killing me! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

This mat is ideal for a couch or bed.

This mat is better for a doormat.

Cut the wires and connect it to a contact sensor that has external contacts like the EcoLink.

3 Likes

Oh no. You just gave me my new idea. I could use that doormat at my front door when people arrive. I have the Ring Doorbell but I had to turn off motion notifications because I was getting too many even on the lowest setting.

1 Like

Yep, itā€™s been a popular project for awhile. :sunglasses:

You guys will make me go bankrupt.

2 Likes

LMAO! At least you are still using ā€œfutureā€ tense!

Payback for me was 2 yearsā€¦Now, calculated at year 2078!

Now, only if Lowes would put their motion sensors back on sale.

2 Likes

@bamarayne yea, that is impressive. i started w/ ST in 2014 and slowly built up my devices to around 160-170, and was using Rule Machine, and most of all the different integrations.

I got ST v2 when it very first came out, and Iā€™ve been trimming out devices, I donā€™t need, like or arenā€™t useful for the last few years because of the pain to migrate. Iā€™ve been really reducing the different rules, and crazy situations I had accounted for, and iā€™ve gone from 20 modes to 6 different modes that house is in now.

Iā€™ve found w/ 4 teenagers and my wife and I, the automation part is useful for some things but there are just so many edge cases it isnā€™t worthwhile. And i didnā€™t want to maintain a system like that, I now spend maybe 1 hr every other week messing w/ my setup or devices, and they are relativity stable.

1 Like

LOLā€¦ @whoismoses @bamarayne You guys are amateurs, I have 5 Echos, and 7 dots, and one Google Home. :smiley:

4 Likes

Ok, I had to check out the threadā€¦ something about 92 posts about a toilet piqued my curiosity.

4 Likes

Admitting that in a public forum makes you very brave in my books, hehe.

2 Likes

I think all of us on this community have realized ANYTHING can be automated. Acceptance is just part of the gig. :wink:

Like car enthusiasts putting up* with stanced carsā€¦ ā€œYeah, I guess, do what you want. Whatever makes you happy!ā€

*Thereā€™s a slight chance I may be judging in this example.

1 Like

I know exactly what you mean!
My household residents consist ofā€¦

Me
Wife
Mom
Dad
25 y/o son
17 y/o son
17 y/o son
13 y/o son
6 y/o son
1.5 y/o daughter
2 dogs
4 cats

I have installed devices that I do not actually use in any automationsā€¦ But they are there just in case! Lol

Alexa is the real heart of the system and it is all controlled by EchoSistant and CoRE.

1 Like

Same for me. I keep my automations to things that do not vary much and to avoid getting in the way of normal life in the house. If people have to think too much then itā€™s not worth doing. And our routines are just not that repetitive in terms of allowing me to automate too much. I introduce things slowly and give folks time to adjust. If I see itā€™s just not working for folks I pull it or adjust it.

That said, every switch in the house is now on ST with the exception of one bathroom and the laundry room where I had previously installed fancy switches before my ST days. Will prob put micros in there. I also have 5 side lamps Iā€™ve yet to convert but I wonā€™t do it until I find a control for them that is easy for all to remember and use. I did just put my first Zigbee bulb in recently and Iā€™m using that to experiment. Also have a Minimote on the way to help. So, I have the flexibility to set-up whatever we need over time.

I am sure I will automate more as time goes on and my family gets used to things. They do like what I have done so far. I am looking forward to Christmas as I just recently converted all outlets used at that time so turning on the holiday lights will be awesome.

Wife, 18 and 15 y/o boys (19 y/o currently at college), one 100lb beast of a dog.

1 Echo, 7 Dots. 4 Nest/Drop cams, 8 Protects. MyQ. Skydrop.

Each time I think Iā€™m nearly done I realize I am far from it, LOL.

1 Like

As of right now the only room I have that doesnā€™t have any automations is the bathroom on the 1st floor that guests use.

Anyone have issues with automations and guests in the bathroom?

Not at allā€¦ I donā€™t let people come to my house.

6 Likes

I like this solution.