Automation to turn on light only if light is OFF, then turn light off after 1 minute?

Hi guys,

I did a search and couldn’t find an answer to my problem

I currently have an automation set up so that motion caught on my Ring Doorbell will trigger my outside lights to turn on and then turn off when motion stops

The problem is that I set a rule so that the lights turn on ONLY when they are off.
This is because sometimes I want to leave the outside lights on (when we are expecting guests over etc) and I don’t want a motion event to turn them off.

From what I understand this rule is preventing the light to turn off when motion stops?

Is there a workaround to this problem?

Many thanks in advance!
Burt

1 Like

I’m curious as well. We just setup our Ring pro and would like to know how to do this.

so in this case create a virtual switch with you automation,
if you dont have a guest put virtual switch true and motion true to tiger your automation
if you have a guest turn off the virtual switch
i hope that will solve your problem

I have run into this issue now too for driveway lights. We use a zooz motion sensor, but sometimes we want to use turn lights on/off in app or with the “button” regardless of motion or no motion triggers. I thought I had it nailed with SL automation but the addition of condition for motion sensor operation “only if switch is off”, means the automatic turn off (after number of minutes) does not occur. I assume it’s because once the motion triggers light on, the SL automation is disabled even for further conditions/events.

Still wondering if someone has found a workaround. The suggested virtual switch idea doesn’t seem ideal, but maybe further explanation would help.

Thanks!