Australian backers

Hi there,

I purchased Starter kit back in May 2014 and to answer your question, i never had any issues with cellphone interference.

i used it everyday and to be honest never came across any issues. it’s just too bad that Smartthings don’t made any devices for the (921.42 in Australia and New Zealand) market as they integrate with other APIs really well.

1 Like

Hi,
I live in New Zealand. I couldn’t find an NZ/AU compatible version so I bought a hub from Amazon. The Zwave frequencies aren’t approved here so I decided to stick with Zigbee devices. It does limit me a bit but that way if Smartthings does produce an NZ/AU capable hub I can easily swap it out.
For now my main desire is to control my hot water cylinder power cycles so I have bought a Leviton 73A00-3ZB and wrote a simple device driver for it.
Loving it so far.

Hey @Falcogeorge - i’m thinking of getting one (had one ordered ages ago but cancelled it).

Is it working ok for you in NZ? I am in Australia. other than zwave limitations can you use sonos/lifx etc? (depending on what you have?

Hi Joel,
It’s been going just fine for me here in NZ.
I have disabled the Zwave part and everything else seems to work as expected. I will say that the Zigbee support is a bit limited in that not many devices are directly supported. It would be great if the system allowed a bit more direct control / information response of Zigbee in order to make writing device drivers easier but otherwise it works.
I confess to knowing nothing of Sonos so I don’t know what protocols it uses.

Cheers

Got one and it’s working great. Curious if anyone else in Australia uses z wave us devices here and if you’ve had any issues with the frequency being non Australian. One person above had no issue which is good to hear.

There are so many more z wave us devices than zigbee. So it’s tempting to just buy us Z wave.

@edmondo69 is your device still working nicely using US zwave?

I believe it is illegal in both Australia and New Zealand to use US zwave frequencies as frequencies under 915 are reserved for emergency communications and mobile phone use. Your US frequency equipment could interfere with ambulance communications among other things. It’s actually a criminal code violation.

Check with your local township to be sure, but I would not try to use US zwave frequency equipment in those countries. It’s not about what you can do technically, it’s about what bands are reserved for what purposes.

@JDRoberts but isn’t z wave a low power communication radio? also i doubt emergency services use 900mhz as it’s a consumer band.

either way you’re right not worth it. It sucks smartthings doesn’t have z-wave for Australians

but even if they did — getting any z-wave australian devices is very hard.

hopefully zigbee locks will be developed more!

Hi Alan,

Did you solve the SmartPower Outlet problem? Although the writing on the device says it is rated 120 VAC, I wonder if it may work with up to 240 VAC. Some wireless switches (e.g. Leviton 73A00-3ZB) are universal 96-250 VAC. I’m looking for something to use in Australia.

Cheers,

Ben