Aurora AOne Rotary Dimmers: 2-way Switching with ST? (UK)

Help - I have replaced a 2 way lighting circuit with two Aurora AOne Rotary dimmers (one set as Master and one Slave). Both devices are recognised by the ST hub and show up in the ST app - and both are labeled as Type:ZigBee Dimmer. The master dimmer works fine (operates lights manually and via app) - but the slave does nothing. The slave dimmer shows up as a “Light” in the app and in the IDE shows up as model: WallDimmerSlave (while the master shows up correctly in the app as a dimmer). When you operate the slave dimmer in the app - it goes on and straight off - but doesn’t operate (even flicker) the lights.
I’ve been told I need to use the Aurora App (which only works with the Aurora Hub) to pair the Master and Slave to make this work correctly (but I really don’t want the expense and want all my automation through one app).
Very annoying as the Aurora website and instructions explain you need to select one switch as Master and the other as Slave - but makes no mention you then need Aurora app and hub to configure and then can’t use lights via ST!
Is there any way to either configure the Slave via Smart Things - so it works as a 2 way dimmer or get the Aurora AOne app to use the ST hub?

1 Like

Did you make any progress with this @KarlEvans66 ?
Or find an alternative solution?

I’m trying to create the same setup - 2 way dimmers, and am yet to find a good solution.
Thanks

Hi - dispite searching for a solution - I had to bite the bullet and buy an Aurora Hub and switch to using the Aurora app for my lighting. I got the hub second hand (Ebay) - so it wasn’t the end of the world. Lights work great off Alexa and Aurora apps has same features for scenes and schedules - but only for lights. Would have preferred controlling from ST (to manage scenes and schedules across all devices) - but not an option at the moment.

Thanks for replying so quick.

That’s a shame. I tried the Aurora hub/app, and didn’t get along with it. I’ve switched most of my house to retractive switches, which work 2-way and can also dim, but in this case I wanted rotary dimmers in each 2-way position.

I’m hoping Aurora update their DTH to allow this to work within Smartthings, but I won’t be holding my breath for that.

Thanks

Tagging @AndyPrice-Aurora

1 Like

Hi All.

Thanks for reaching out.

Our original spec for the rotary dimmer was to have the 2-way functionality working within SmartThings, along with switchable backlight.

Sadly these weren’t possible at the time of initial integration due to platform limitations, an issue which I believe has since been rectified.

I will escalate through our internal team to understand why this has yet to be fully completed.

Thanks

Andy

1 Like

That would be Fantastic - would much prefer to manage my lights through ST - as I can then mix sensors and actions (planning Konnected alarm - so I can use existing alarm PIRs as motion sensors with lights)

1 Like

Hi. Its a shame you had to get the Aurora Hub. That said - how did you get the battery rotary dimmer to even work with ST? I had this months ago and it wouldn’t even get found by my ST hub. Aurora told me it does not and will not work with ST and in a convo with them the other day they are still unsure if/when any firmware will be updated.
Id love to know what you did to get it to work - i take it the device dimmed correctly and everything?. If you just added it then god knows whats up with mine :joy:

I spoke to Aurora the other day and this still not in their pipeline. Unless you can offer any other inside info? This would be a great update.

Andy - any update on the two-way switching working with ST hub?

Hi. Has this made any progress?
Also last time I spoke to someone in your team, i was told your battery zigbee dimmers would soon be supported by SmartThings. Has this happened yet?

Would be a great feature

Thanks

1 Like

Is there any update on this as I’m in the same situation? Smart Thing Hub (Aeotec branding) and 2 Aone smart rotatary dimmers for a landing light but only one works. Thanks

@AndyPrice-Aurora

Would be great to hear from you @AndyPrice-Aurora

1 Like

And the battery one too please

Also. Are you looking to give any update to ST users so we can switch the coloured rings off on your sockets?
Any edge drivers on the way?
Thanks in advance

@AndyPrice-Aurora

I spoke to Aurora today. The brand has gone into administration and will never be supported or developed again.

Darn! Although not a complete shock. (Their website is still operating as of today.)

I had been planning to try a pair in master/slave configuration but to be used with a Philips Hue hub in view of the problems with Smartthings.

The Aurora product with its master/slave switch is allegedly the only one I have seen with proper support for 2-way staircase circuits.

The nearest similar option I have seen is a Zigbee rotary dimmer sold by Samotech, Candeo and Iolloi. (All three seem to be the same product under different brands.) However they all only seem to support one of their rotary dimmers at one end and a dumb retractive switch at the other end.

As a curiosity, has anyone tried the Aurora one with a Philips Hue hub in this master/slave setup? If so did it work properly and further was it exposed to HomeKit?

If only Lutron got off their lazy, fat and xenophobic ass and did a version of their Caseta range for the UK/EU.

Note: Whilst it is not going to be as simple an install it should be possible to use the following with momentary retractive switches and this would work with a staircase 2-way circuit.

With this sort of module you only need one module for the entire staircase circuit - you put it in the ceiling and would use dumb momentary retractive switches at both ends. I have tested this approach with similar Z-Wave modules before. However without having tested one of these Zigbee modules I don’t know if it supports a three way retractive switches meaning you can press up to dim up and down to dim down. If it only supports two way retractive switches then you would have to press and keep held down to cycle up and then down.

It is ridiculous. I have been looking for a decent solution for about a decade. There are hundreds of brands in the US. More recent players seem very stupid in entering such a crowded market, whereas here in the UK pretty much the only choice is LightwaveRF unless you go the millionaire route and use custom wiring and something like KNX, Luton Homeworks QS and other similar ultra high end systems.

The Chinese have some interesting new smart switches which could be used in the UK but have at the moment a lack of dimmer options.

I am hoping that the fact Matter is now launched will gradually lead to more interesting solutions finally becoming available - except from the majority of Americans who clearly think if you leave the US you will fall off the edge of the world.

1 Like

Ive emailed someone at the old Aurora team to see if they have some old stock.
Might be able to get a device ID see what can be done in ST

There are plenty still for sale i believe, buy them up if they work.

A while back I got some old IKEA battery dimmers to work as master / slave. Took an age but it worked well.
Sadly that dimmer fell and smashed and their new versions wont work!!!

I cant believe there are not more options for dimming in the UK for smart homes.

The Candeo/ lolloi dimmers work well with momentary switches but who wants momentary switches in their home

@welshbryn
I agree the UK dimmer options suck. There (was) the Aurora product although apparently if not used with their hub it is not perfect when used with 2-way staircase circuits, there is also the LightWave RF which I find rather ugly.

I looked at Candeo/Samotech/lolloi all of which are the same actual products and emailed Samotech and Candeo who say that their micro modules only support 2-way momentary switches and not 3-way ones.

A 3-way momentary switch allows press up for dim up, press down for dim down and centre rest position. A 2-way momentary switch would require you to press and keep held to cycle through up and down. I would be willing to use 3-way momentary switches but have not yet found any Zigbee modules which support 3-way momentary switches. There are several Z-Wave ones such as Fibaro and Aeotec which do, but I prefer Zigbee over Z-Wave.

Of course Matter via either Thread or WiFi or a hub would be better still.

What is really frustrating is that there is nothing like Lutron Caseta. Lutron stubbornly refuse to do a version for the UK or EU. This is despite the fact Lutron have a version of their hub and a version of the (proprietary) wireless chip in the UK/EU along with 230v support, they even sell the wireless battery Pico switch and a UK/EU faceplate.

I keep seeing yet another US company launch yet another US only Decora style smart dimmer in to a saturated US market and ignoring the UK/EU market which is almost completely unserved. Even Legrand a French manufacturer offers better US options than they do in France,

There was Insteon who had their own proprietary micro modules which did support 3-way momentary switches and did have a UK/EU version. They however did a piss-poor job selling the in the UK and went bust. They have been resurrected but only in the US and their hub required their servers meaning it had become useless. They now require a subscription. I am glad I did not end up buying Insteon for doing my entire house. I could not do so because they had no UK stock and Amazon (pre-brexit) refused to ship from France to Germany let alone France to UK.

Surprisingly and disappointingly, no Chinese companies have done any decent dimmers still.

You can get UK or EU dimmer options if you are willing and rich enough to install proprietary wiring e.g. Lutron Homeworks QS, (As I said Lutron do have their hub, chips and some 230v products, but not their Caseta range!)

I apologies if this is repeating but There are many posts with the Aurora battery dimmers tagged so trying to inform all those who have previously expressed interest in this and you all appear on various discussions….

With thanks to @Mariano_Colmenarejo i can confirm that the Aurora Battery dimmers are working.
@Mariano made a custom TEST edge driver to work with this and made a product that SmartThings said couldn’t or wouldn’t work within their system.
The device works using the Smart Lighting mirror function. So you need a hardwired dimmer attached to the device you want to control.
In my case ive tested it with both Aeotec nano dimmer, a candeo rotary Zigbee dimmer and a rotary dimmer
All work well so far
This certainly opens some doors for battery dimmers

Thanks Mariano.