Ask Alexa to Pause

Hi. I am trying to make a device handler that will be able to not only turn on/off a device, but also “pause” the device, like a music player. However I am struggling to get this working, as Alexa won’t accept this command. How can I program the device handler with the functionality of pausing so that Alexa will accept the “pause” command for a device? I’d really appreciate any help. Thanks.

EDIT: I am trying to control a Smart Window Shade. So basically when it is opening, I have the ability to pause/stop it when I say “Alexa, pause the shade.”

Are you trying to pause an automation, such as being able to say, Alexa, pause the lights in here. And that would stop them from turning off.

Are you referring to Ask Alexa the application or to “ask Alexa” to pause something?

I am not referring to the “Ask Alexa” smart app, but literally asking Alexa to pause the device. I want to know if it is natively possible to make the Amazon Echo respond to something that is closely related to “pause” by adding some code to the device handler. I am not concerned with smart apps. Is there a way to accomplish this?

I am trying to control a Smart Window Shade. So basically when it is in the process of opening or closing the shades, I want to have the ability to pause/stop it when I say “Alexa, pause the shade.”

I’ve done very little work with device handlers, so I’m not the one to answer this. But, with what I do know and my experience, I have not seen this ability. But, you may be able to program that in…I just don’t know how.