Are there any plans for BIG DATA analytics with SmartThings

(Ash (www.smart-dots.com) / Ashutosh Jaiswal) #1

SmartThings is an amazing platform for creating solutions for each individual user. And we are at the brink of entering the new age of Internet of Things. The next step however is that we somehow get access to the data collected by the individuals and use it on a commercial level to solve problems of the consumers and drive towards improving commercial efficiency. Privacy of data may pose an issue, but I am sure there is a lot of information that can be collected without impacting end user privacy.

Its probably too early, with the limited sensors and their functionality at this point (not to forget the very limited coverage of homes with sensors) but I was wondering if anyone thought in this direction? How can this data be made available to companies who might be interested in leveraging data to enhance their services and provide better solutions to the end consumers?

(Carson Dallum) #2

Check out this article from last year:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/2014/07/30/smartthings-smart-home-services/

They’re clearly thinking about it. Whether or not it comes to fruition will be a different story.

On a side note, could you please refrain from the term big data? It’s too often misused and has become merely a marketing term…thanks! :grin:

(Ash (www.smart-dots.com) / Ashutosh Jaiswal) #3

Thanks for the information. Wouldn’t you call it Big Data in the context that I brought it up?

(Carson Dallum) #4

Your topic is quite compelling and worthy of further discussion. However, for many people ‘Big Data’ has become a term used more for creating buzz than substantive discussion (IMHO).

(Ash (www.smart-dots.com) / Ashutosh Jaiswal) #5

I understand what you are trying to say…however focusing back on the topic… Smart Things is an open platform and it is as successful as today, by a large extent because of the developer community…I guess we all agree on that…
With that being said, I think it will be unfair for SmartThings to make the data available only to themselves and enjoy the premium they get out of the services. I think this data should also be made available to everyone (in a controlled fashion), which will enable different solutions to be developed across multiple domains. And any revenue generated from these solutions…a piece of it can definitely go back to Smart Things or something like that…?

(Geko) #6

I think a lot folks will disagree with this statement. As far as I’m concerned, all data originated within my property (e.g. my home) is my property and anyone who wishes to access and use this data in any manner or form must obtain my express permission.

(Ash (www.smart-dots.com) / Ashutosh Jaiswal) #7

That is a given…No data will be collected without the end user’s permission - Just like how facebook and other apps ask your permission to access your contacts, camera etc. (thats what I meant when i said data will be collected in a controlled fashion)

For all the users who have given permission, the data will be collected by SmartThings… What after that?
In return for sharing their data, the end users will benefit from discounts, convenience services etc.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #8

You have already given your permission by using “the Services” and continuing to use them, per the Terms of Use, though explictly limited only by the Privacy Policy

1. http://www.smartthings.com/terms/

Subject to our Privacy Policy (where applicable), for all User Submissions and Device Data, you hereby do and shall grant SmartThings a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid, sublicensable and transferable license to use, modify, reproduce, distribute, share, prepare derivative works of, display, perform, and otherwise fully exploit the User Submissions and Device Data in connection with the Services, and SmartThings’s (and its successors’ and assigns’) business, including without limitation for promoting and redistributing part or all of the Services in any media formats and through any media channels (including, without limitation, third party websites and services).

1. http://www.smartthings.com/privacy/

However, except as described below, we do not disclose aggregate information to a partner in a manner that would identify you personally, as an individual. [etc.]

In other words: I’m not a lawyer and thus can’t come to a definitive conclusion as to how my own Things’s data will be used, abused, protected, shared, etc…; though the Privacy Policy certainly sounds like it protects against personally identifiable sharing, but most certainly not aggregation.

…CP / Terry.