Aqara Door and Window Sensors Go Offline Despite Proximity to ZigBee Repeater

It sounds like you’ve put in a lot of effort to troubleshoot the connectivity issues with your Aqara Door and Window Sensors. Here are a few suggestions that might help:

Reposition the ZigBee Outlet: Try moving the ZigBee outlet to a different location closer to the problematic sensors. Sometimes, a small adjustment in placement can make a big difference in signal strength.

Check for Interference: Make sure there are no physical obstructions or sources of interference (such as large metal objects or other electronic devices) between the sensors and the ZigBee outlet. These can weaken the ZigBee signal.

Hub Location: Consider relocating your SmartThings hub to a more central location in your home, if possible. This can improve the overall ZigBee network coverage.

ZigBee Channel: Check if there are any other ZigBee devices in your network that might be using the same channel. If so, try changing the ZigBee channel on your SmartThings hub to reduce interference.

Firmware Updates: Ensure that both your sensors and SmartThings hub have the latest firmware updates installed. Sometimes, updates can improve device compatibility and connectivity.

Reset and Re-Pair: If all else fails, you may need to reset the sensors once more and re-pair them with your SmartThings hub. Sometimes, this can resolve connectivity issues.

Contact Manufacturer Support: If none of the above solutions work, it might be worth reaching out to Aqara’s customer support for additional assistance. They may have specific troubleshooting steps for their devices.

This reads like an answer written by chatGPT, because it sort of makes sense when you first look at it, but then you realize it makes no sense at all, because all of the Zigbee devices on your SmartThings network will be using the same channel. That’s how the network works.

Instead, interference would be coming from devices on a different network, but potentially using the same channel.

Also, you left out the single most likely cause of interference with zigbee devices: Wi-Fi devices. Wi-Fi operates on the same frequency (note that is different from channel) as Zigbee, but Wi-Fi is a much more powerful signal. So Wi-Fi interference is always a potential problem with a Zigbee installation.

Of course, this comment could just be human error if you’re not that familiar with Zigbee.

If by chance you did use chatGPT to create this answer, please note that in this forum, as in many other technical forums, we are requesting that people include a line in their posts if they are using generative AI content just so people don’t have to waste time digging through stuff which potentially has these kinds of hallucinations. :thinking:

4 Likes

When I read the original post the first time, it looks to me he was talking about other ZigBee hubs that possible was using the same channel. Never thought he was talking about other devices in the same ZigBee network.

Here’s what they said:

What you mentioned is an important possible source of interference, but that would be multiple networks (one for each hub).

1 Like

Gotcha, so yeah, they are probably using chatGPT :laughing:

1 Like

I have recently resolved the same problem with 3 Aqara contact sensors on three doors. Originally I paired them next to the hub and then placed them, but all three had disconnected within a week or so. This time I paired in place and so far so good.

For me I used the same pairing tip someone else had posted to pair them at the hub, but instead this time did it for each of them in place - hold button for 5 seconds, release on flash and then single press in one second intervals until the led flashes three times. It takes around 5-6 seconds after that 3x flash for Smartthings app to show it as found.

1 Like

Even though I knew this, I hadn’t thought about it as a potential reason for a problem I’ve been having for a long while. Time to swap a sensor with a Z-wave one and see if the problem goes away. Thanks, JD!

3 Likes

Yep, that did it. I swapped a Sengled Zigbee sensor for a Ring Z-Wave one and it’s been rock solid ever since.

1 Like

Hey guys, I have an Aqara Leak Sensor that I’ve been using with the ST Zigbee Water Leak sensor driver from the ST Beta channel. It goes offline a couple time a day, just like everyone else’s here.

I want to switch to Mariano’s Zigbee Aqara Water Leak Sensor Mc driver, so I installed that and I can see it under the ST advanced interface - However, it’s not available to select in the ST app. I tried removing and re-adding the leak sensor and the ST driver is the only one visible.

I can select the Zigbee Thing Mc driver, and it shows the following info (visible in the Advanced interface, truncated in the app):

Manufacturer: LUMI
Model: lumi.flood.agl02
FingerPrinted_EndPoint.Id: 0x01
App Version: Unknown
ZCL Version: Unknown
Network ID: 0x4F77
Zigbee EUI: 54EF441000AA8F16
Device ID: 3f854844-12b9-465e-8d67-db79b4759fab

Server Cluster:
Ep: 0x01={ 0000,0500,0003,0001 }

Client Clusters:
Ep: 0x01={ 0019 }

Signal Metrics:

I’m sure I did something wrong here, but can’t figure out what … Thx !

FYI, this is Model # WL-S02D from Home Depot. It also has SJCGQ12LM on the bottom and it’s listed as the “Water Leak Sensor T1- Wireless Mini Flood Detector for Alarm System and Smart Home Automation”
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Aqara-Water-Leak-Sensor-T1-Wireless-Mini-Flood-Detector-for-Alarm-System-and-Smart-Home-Automation-Requires-Aqara-Hub-WL-S02D/326722187

I just ordered a few more from Amazon, and it looks like that’s the SJCGQ11LM model. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Update: looks like the driver has signatures for SJCGQ11LM and SJCGQ13LM , but not SJCGQ12LM. I believe SJCGQ12LM uses ZigBee 3.0.

Tagging @Mariano_Colmenarejo

1 Like

They are both Zigbee 3.0, but the newer version (12) has used a more vanilla approach in line with typical industry practices. That’s a good thing in terms of integration with other platforms, but it also means it may not be able to use the exact same code as the previous model.

Thanks! I cancelled my Amazon order for the 11LM ones and picked up more 12LM from Best Buy (they’re on sale).

1 Like

Added to this driver version, try if it works

You need install this driver version in your hub
uninstall device and reinstall it with this driver version

Do not perform a driver change

───────────────────────────────────────────────────
 Name         Zigbee Moisture Sensor Mc
 Version      2024-05-20T16:04:19.028915776        
───────────────────────────────────────────────────
- id: "Lumi/SJCGQ12LM"
    deviceLabel: Aqara Water Leak Sensor
    manufacturer: LUMI
    model: lumi.flood.agl02
    deviceProfileName: moisture-battery
1 Like

Alright! I uninstalled “Zigbee Aqara Water Leak Sensor Mc”, installed Zigbee Moisture Sensor Mc, removed the sensor from the app, did a factory reset on the sensor and re-paired it (at the location where it will be used, not next to the hub). It connected and it’s using your moisture driver. so I can see the signal metrics. LQI 255, RSSI -74. Is that good enough use it there? We’ll see if it continues to go offline.

What device is “Zigbee Aqara Water Leak Sensor Mc” meant to be used with? I didn’t see a fingerprint list for it.

Thanks!

1 Like

LQi is the maximum and the RSSi is a little low, but enough I think.

If when you install it in its final location it maintains the signal metrics, it should not be a problem.

The fact that it remains offline may be more because the clusters and attributes are not configured correctly.

This is a older driver and the devices are in Zigbee Moisture Sensor Mc too

2 Likes

The LQI is as good as it gets, but the RSSI looks marginal. My personal cutoff for Zigbee home automation is -75, but I prefer to see -60 if I can get it.

I don’t know the source of your data, though. At one point, SmartThings was only reporting the values for the last hop, which can be pretty much useless, to be honest. You might have great signal from a smart plug sitting about 8 m from the hub, but have a horrible time getting signal from a sensor on the opposite side of the house over to that plug. :man_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Do you know how to get updated signal metrics to show up in the app? The sensor is connected (still shows offline a couple times a day) but the signal metrics show the data from 5/20, when I first added it.

Also, is there a way to get this leak sensor to show up in the Google Home app? The ST leak sensors show up, but the Aqara one doesn’t.