Anything like the SmartThings Smart Button?

I have a series of Hue recessed lights installed in a room for which the wiring prevents me from installing smart switches (three-way, light first, no neutral on end). The lights auto-on/off via Samsung SmartThings motion sensor. The problem is that when leaving the room, it is natural to hit the wall switch to turn the lights off, and thereby cut power to the smart lights so that they will not auto-on the next time someone enters the room.

I would like to add something like the SmartThings Smart Button so that someone can tap it, instead of the light switch, to turn off the lights, without disrupting power.

Unfortunately, the Smart Button no longer appears to be available. I see there is a Hue version, but reviews on that device are horrible, claiming that it eats batteries (not worth that hassle and expense); and something from Aqara, but that requires yet another hub (I have Hue and SmartThings covered, but don’t want to add yet another one).

Does anyone know of another product that may serve this same function, or an alternative work-around?

I would like to keep it simple (I don’t want a multi-button remote to be used for this single, simple, function), and in the <$25 range. I’m willing to branch out in brands, but don’t want new hubs.

Any thoughts or leads would be appreciated!

1 Like

I have 3 Aqara buttons and 1 Konke button (very little, very nice) that works with SmartThings hub only. It’s necessary adding DH for Xiaomi button (bspranger) …

What country are you in? The device selection does vary significantly.

There are a couple of battery operated devices that look very much like switches and that work with smartthings and that are easy to wall mount, but again which ones are available depend on the specific country you live in.

There are also some “smart battery covers“ which are devices which fit over a wall switch so that you can leave the power always on to the bulbs while having a button or switch device to turn on and off. But again, country matters.

And there are even a few devices which can be wired in to replace an existing wall switch but don’t cut the power to the bulbs.

Why don’t you start by taking a look at the following FAQ?

FAQ: Looking at a good Wall Switch for my Hue Bulbs (2020 Short FAQ) ( also applies to other brands of smart bulbs)

Maybe Ikea’s Tradfri remote? I haven’t used them, but they’re reasonably priced. I have seen conflicting information as to whether or not they work natively in Smartthings now, so you should check on that.

GoControl is $12 on Amazon 2 buttons… Shipping went up recently but it’s available everywhere…cheapest option…

GoControl WA00Z-1 Z-Wave Scene-Controller Wall Switch …

www.amazon.com › GoControl-WA00Z-1-Z-Wave-Sc…
(https://www.amazon.com/GoControl-WA00Z-1-Z-Wave-Scene-Controller-Switch/dp/B01BKWG9XS)

Xiaomi might be a good cheap option also but I haven’t tested them…

1 Like

The smartthings button will be available again soon, aeotec is now handling distribution of samjin products in the west.

Zooz has a new battery powered remote that looks just like a paddle light switch. It fits in your budget too.

3 Likes

Did you find a good solution? I’m looking for a button for my parents house that can have at least 2 functions but want it to be a single button. I still don’t see the availability of the Aeotec one yet. I also have them setup with both a SmartThings and Hue hub and would prefer to not add another hub.

Some people have the $10 IKEA Tradfri shortcut button working for both press and hold using a custom DTH, but not everyone has been able to make this work, it may depend on the country you are in.

It pairs directly to a smartthings hub, you don’t need an additional bridge.

See the following discussion thread:

New Ikea tradfri Shortcut Button?

The product description may say that it needs its own gateway, but it doesn’t: you will use the smartthings hub instead. :sunglasses:

The coffee cup symbol is a sticker, one of a set, that you can use or not. The button itself is just plain white.

Just be aware that most inexpensive battery operated buttons may need an extra press to wake them up if they are not used pretty frequently. This can be frustrating to some people, or confusing to others. The problem is often worse for multifunction buttons. So it’s just something to be aware of, especially when choosing a device for someone else’s house. :thinking:

Can’t underestimate how frustrating this can be to non smart home people. I have this on my Ikea 2 button switch- wish there was a way to reduce this extra press

1 Like

For me, the SmartThings branded buttons take a wake up press if the controlling device was last turned on or off by a voice assistant. It seems to throw off the toggles. If no Alexa or Google is used, they tend not to need that wake up even after a few days

1 Like

I got sick of this and made it so one tap is on and two taps is off. You lose the ability to assign double tap to a different function or device but the trade off has been worth it to me.

1 Like

@JDRoberts @Brad_ST

I am not convinced that the device needs a wakeup, I think it is a bug in SmartThings that looses the current state to do a toggle state and toggles the wrong way.

As Brad did, I have done, where a single press does on, and a double does off. They never need a press to wake up, only when used as a toggle.

2 Likes