Any word on the smartthings "extend" for Samsung TV?

I would not rely on the extend as your main hub. Look at it this way. When your power goes out now, when it returns, your hub restarts and gets going all on it’s own. With the extend and a power loss, it’s going to make you log back in again. I really like my KS8000, but the firmware on the tv is not perfect. I’ve lost the pop up screen many of times and had to pull the power plug on the device multiple times to reset the tv. I’ve lost other log in credentials as well so just assuming it’s all the same.

If the Extend couldn’t be relied upon as the main hub, what would be the point?

I agree the TV can be a bit flaky, but I would hope the Extend would be somewhat self-contained, using the TV as a host to provide power and I’m assuming the Z-wave and Zigbee chips/antennas are inside the TV since I doubt all that would fit inside a USB dongle.

I also have an 8000, and I have noticed some weird stuff, just last night it forgot my YouTube account and I had to re-activate it. I have also noticed the OTA guide is S-L-O-W to load. I’m hoping these things get better. I hope that the Extend kind of stands on its own, because, yeah, I haven’t been too impressed with the TV firmware thus far.

If all the extend did was just turn my tv into a device so I could get notifications on it I’d be happy. That’s really all I need it for. The Hub will get updated more often then a new version of the extend ever would. We would probably be on Hub ver 4.0 before you’d see Extend 2.0. Plus, to update the extend, they have to go through Samsung to send the update to the tv. It’s not as easy as them just sending updates to our hubs.

I thought some ST folks had addressed the issue about updates, but you make a good point, that no matter what it’s probably still always going to be more difficult and thus take more time to do it via TV firmware update processes. I honestly don’t see why the Extend couldn’t be standalone though, like I said, using the TV only as a host for power and radios. It could be updated directly like any other hub (if it was designed that way).

I’m starting to wonder if the whole “extend” thing was a marketing ploy to get people to buy TV’s. If the Extend will not have feature parity with the standalone hubs then I do not see a bright future for it.

Has anyone said definitively if it will have full feature parity?

It can be, it’s just at the mercy of the Samsung tv that has it’s own bugs that will probably never be worked out correctly.

If your KS8000 is a North American version (begins with UN), you should be able to add it a device using the martketplace Samsund products section (some say the V1 hub wont work with it). For the notifications, the DTH exposes deviceNotifications () in CoRE. It can be found in the Control Any Device area under Notification Devices once it is a thing. You can enter text as a string value that will be displayed on the TV following a trigger event.

1 Like

Thank you for that. I set up a demo of this today to test out.

It connects, but does nothing. I thought at least it would do power on/off and volume

@ShermanThruGA how did you discover and add the TV? something is off in your setup. I can see the device, but no parent smartapp.

What’s the Samsung smart TV template in the IDE? I noticed it the other day and haven’t gotten any answers yet. It looks to give you the basic functionalities of a remote.

1 Like

I have the UE65KU6075 which by the “K” indicates a 2016 model ande the “E” that its european? Should work with the Samsung TV (connect) but ST wont recognize it, i’ve tried to pull the plug and pur it back on after a while. Does anyone have any tips?

I can see the TV in the live logging but it wont pair.

I just spoke with support. The Extend stick is still in closed beta, no ETA, it is taking longer than anticipated, blah blah blah. I am picking up a Smartthings hub tonight to see if it can properly integrate with my Google Home and Nest systems.

EDIT: this is for my Samsung KS8000.

So at what point will Samsung actually provide some form of restitution? I’ve had this TV for about 9 months now. I thought I was getting a SmartThings Hub out of the box. Instead, we’ve all been led down the garden path with promises of the extend Hub “soon”.

Are there any litigious among us?

Samsung,
I currently own two phones, two tablets, a robot vacuum cleaner, a washer and dryer, two TVs, a BluRay player, and probably other products from you. You screw us over this bad and I swear you won’t get another dime of my money.

1 Like

I’m also in the same boat as you and have been waiting since July 2016 for this extender. I have the Samsung washer, dryer, and smart TV but will no longer purchase their products just like you. I’m not sure if it’s worth the effort to file a lawsuit but would be interested in looking into it since this is a clear case of false advertisement. Samsung is losing a base of early adopters, a group of users who are more tech savvy, proactive about providing constructive feedback, and capable of spreading the word to their friends. This is crucial to their long-term success in IoT, particularly after the major purchase of SmartThings, so they will suffer severe financial consequences due to this misstep.

2 Likes

Anything new to report for the Extend device? Is it out of beta? Will any of us SmartTV buyers see it soon (like within weeks, not months and years, soon)?

1 Like

They won’t provide restitution voluntarily. I passed on the new robot vacuum they put out and my new washer I’m buying soon won’t be a Samsung either. Neither will my old fridge when that finally goes. Part of this is due to the terrible CS Samsung has (I found that out with my Smart TV) and the lies about the Extend, part of it is due to the genuinely bad reviews of their products. But when some people have a good experience you need to rely on the company to stand behind the product if it doesn’t live up to expectations and clearly Samsung is not one of those companies.

All they will tell you is “The Extend is in a closed beta”. Literally nothing else.

Samsung is close to becoming the most valuable tech company in the world, passing Apple. The sad truth is that ST specifically has little competition and they don’t really care if some people avoid Samsung in the future. Most people won’t avoid Samsung or ST over this and Samsung isn’t going to react to anything less than a class action lawsuit because they don’t have to.

Come on Samsung! How long does it take! How many hoops you got to jump through to get this out! You can’t sell an item promising something and then don’t deliver that is false advertising! Either sort it out or if you can’t send a hub to everyone who bought the tv that are not getting the functionality they paid for! Can you please reply with time scales do not ignore this!

Here’s the latest scoop: the Extend has been renamed “Extinct”. :wink:

2 Likes