Any way to restart a cablemodem thru some ST magic?

And also a similar thread that may give you some other ideas.

1 Like

Iā€™ll look into this one! Nice!!

Iā€™ll share a really cheap solution, get one of those 10 buck 24 hour light timers, set it to turn off and on as close together at 3am. Modem will power cycle nightly for a few minutes offline.

But frankly, if you need to constantly restart the modem, there is something else that is going wrong upstream or in your environment that probably should be dealt with before resorting to rebooting the modem on a schedule.

1 Like

Agreedā€¦ just donā€™t have the TIME to fix itā€¦ lol! Iā€™ll go with this idea for nowā€¦ but instead of @ 3amā€¦ Iā€™ll do it at 3 PM when Iā€™m totally sure I wonā€™t be homeā€¦ Or else the house might go crazy with my coming and going from wifiā€¦ I went that route for the best experience in location managementā€¦ any other means (in-app location, Life360, smartpresence tags, ā€¦) just wonā€™t doā€¦

SmartLighting runs locally right? Set up a rule that when X outlet turns off, turn it on.

**edit - just realize this was already discussed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just remember they ā€œbreakā€ by an hour during daylight savings time :slight_smile:

I used an arduino with an Ethernet shield and a relay shield to ping Googleā€™s name server and if it fails for 30 seconds, it triggers the relay to turn the cable modem off and then 30 seconds later it turns it back on.

Todd

2 Likes